Thread: China Airlines

Default China Airlines

Hello Everyone,

Good news ... I have been offered a new job in Rotorua. Wife and kids are over the moon. We plan to fly out asap and probably in about 3 weeks. Being a cash conscious guy, We are on a very tight budget. China Airlines are the cheapest at the moment (about £2150) to fly UK to Auckland. My OH is not keen on them, but unless we find £500 stuffed in the sofa, then it's noodles all the way over. Has anyone out there flown with them and what did you make of them? Any ideas on the baggage allowance?

We have had a couple of container quotes - iMove look the best at £3290 with us doing some of the packing of the unbreakable stuff. Insurance would be about £800 with Letton Percival. Any other advice would be awesome. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Canny Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Canny Lad View Post
    ... Being a cash conscious guy, We are on a very tight budget. China Airlines are the cheapest at the moment (about £2150) to fly UK to Auckland. My OH is not keen on them, but unless we find £500 stuffed in the sofa, then it's noodles all the way over. Has anyone out there flown with them and what did you make of them? Any ideas on the baggage allowance?
    I have flown China Airlines but a long time ago and only short haul (Hong Kong to Taiwan). Most Asian airlines normally offer a choice of Western and Asian dishes so it might not be noodles all the way. I've also found the service on Asian airlines to be friendlier than a lot of Western airline. Taipei is an interesting city to visit if you have time for a stopover and we found the locals to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. Take a look at the Skytrax web site for reviews of the airline http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/china.htm.

I choose who to fly with by thier safety record. I look at how long they have been operating, how many planes they fly what sort of problems they have had in the past,,, pages like www.planecrashinfo.com are a start,,, not a popular way to chose your flight, but its how I do it...

Bob

Haven't really heard anything good about China Airlines, if you can afford the next airline up I would take it, is the china airlines flight you are looking at the 44 hour one with the big transit? Have you checked www.skyscanner.net ? For the 10th Nov Singapore airlines is coming in at £2410 for 2 Adults and 2 Children from Heathrow. If you can not stretch that far then as long as it gets you there safely thats the important thing. I am leaving in just under 3 weeks too. Good luck with the move!

Hi everyone,

Thx for all your advice. It has been most helpful. It's been a whirlwind few days. Managed to get flights from Heathrow to Auckland with Cathay Pacific for £2609 one way for 4 adults. Sadly not double baggage allowance due to having emigrated before. However, I am gonna look into excess baggage companies and see what we can do.

I got the insurance for about 1.16 per cent with Bromwall Insurance brokers. Pretty good price and a saving of about £1200 compared the removal companies. iMove international have been awesome so far, and a very good price of £3290 from NE England to Rotorua. I would certainly recommend them.

New job starts on 5 November, so it's flat out at the moment!

Kind regards,

Canny Lad

Good luck with the new job,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Canny Lad View Post
    iMove international have been awesome so far, and a very good price of £3290 from NE England to Rotorua. I would certainly recommend them.
    Canny Lad, good luck on the move. If your container has any spare space and you want to offset your costs, I'm Newcastle-based and would be happy to buy some spare capacity in your container. I will be based in Wellington but making the trip up to Raglan on a semi-regular basis and Rotorua is not a million miles out of the way. Let me know.