Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this is going to sound really stupid....

Default this is going to sound really stupid....

We are preparing ourselves in the best way possible for our move to Wellington. Medicals done, almost, I have to go up to London on thursday to finalise 2 things, then we wait for those to be ready to take all our applications on visas in....

All in all this is a huge move. Though I have done it before (moving overseas) and I know the first 3-6 months are border line hellish at times.

what am I worried about?! THE FLIGHT!

It's one thing going from Orlando to Heathrow.... sure, not the greatest. But triple the time.

Someone reassure me that I am majoring in the minors, that's it's just one whole day (more!) that it will be fine, yada yada....

I think this "in between" area of waiting and twiddling of thumbs has gotten to me!

Oh, and dh was having a great laugh at me the other night, he you-tubed rough windy flights into Wellington..... rotten man.

Naa dont worry about it, the first 12 hours are the worst :-) after that you are in a lack of sleep inuced haze, you can sit there with a blanket on your head, not sleeping but not quite knowing your on a flight either

You have maybe a 1in 20 chance of having to land sideways in Welly, but by that point you really wont care... :-)

Bob

It's no big deal, really it isn't. You're sitting in a chair for a day, and people bring you stuff to eat and drink. You'll have your own choice of music, films and TV programmes through the seat-back. Why not get yourself a big fat book? - start to read it as soon as you've boarded, and just go off into the author's world for a bit.

I've travelled to NZ on holiday...I found last 12 hours worse, but you'll be more than half way there by then. The thought about the flight time is far worse than living thro' it, everyone is horrified at the time it takes and you unconsciously (or not) take all these comments on board (pun intended, ha ha), I can think of worse things...dentist, giving birth etc., sit back and think of the future ahead...enjoy having nothing to do...

I find the easiest thing to do is to split it down into sections - so first 12hour flight, after 3 hours you are a quarter of the the way there etc. Then start again on the next flight. A few films, food and chatting to few people and it really isn't that bad.

It is a means to an end and for you it will be the start of a new life. And at least you only have to go one way, at the moment we have to do a return too

It's not stupid at all, I was also really anxious about the flight too, but can honestly say that by the time we came to ours, I was so exhausted from the whole move, that it was wonderful to switch off for 12 hours with nothing to worry about other than which film I was going to watch! It was also really exciting to finally be on our way. It sounds a long time to be on a plane, but it really doesn't feel that long, and the time soon passes. In-flight entertainment systems have come a long way in the past ten years, and with meals and hopefully some snooze time you'll be here before you know it! Good luck!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by adotie View Post
    It's not stupid at all, I was also really anxious about the flight too, but can honestly say that by the time we came to ours, I was so exhausted from the whole move, that it was wonderful to switch off for 12 hours with nothing to worry about other than which film I was going to watch!
    I second this feeling! The last four weeks before the move was so crazy that I was able to just chill out on the plane! It sounds crazy but we had the most circuitous route to NZ as well, which just added to the distance/time flown! (For reasons I won't explain, we flew New York-LHR, had an 8 hour stopover to say goodbye to some dear friends, then got on the Air NZ flight(s) to Welly).

I was a little concerned when I flew home for Xmas, doing this flight on my own for the first time, and also in economy for the first time! I actually found that it didn't feel so bad and the stopovers were plenty long enough and broke the journey up well (although felt too long on the way out - to the point I was getting really bored!).

Some suggestions if you really are concerned:
    - Have a stopover for a couple of days on the way. Make this part of your adventure. I would suggest LA (do Disney with the kids), Hong Kong (Disney!) or maybe Singapore (lounge by the pool, go to Sentosa Island).
    - If you're doing the trip all in one go, try to avoid LA. The stopover keeps you penned in a transit lounge like sheep with little, or no, refreshments. I would potentially avoid flying with a Middle Eastern airline too - they are fantastic airlines (Emirates/Etihad) but the flight between Dubai/Abu Dhabi and Australia feels REALLY long (it's about 13-14 hours). See what deals you can get with Cathay, Singapore Airlines, Malaysian, Asiana, or Air NZ via HKG.
    - Make sure you've got plenty of entertainment options with you. Maybe take a portable DVD player for the kids, colouring books, computer games etc. For you, make sure you've got a book, your ipod, etc, in case you run out of films to watch on the in-flight entertainment!
    - Also make sure you've got some favourite snack options for the kids so they don't get antsy between meals. And also to reward them when they've been good! Try to avoid fresh food (fruit/veges) but if you do have some, you'll need to dispose of them prior to landing in NZ.
    - Depending on how old your kids are, maybe try to get bulkhead seats on the plane to give them a little more room for their things.

I found I slept a lot more than I expected when I travelled back at xmas. With kids, this is likely to be more difficult for you, but it's not as bad as you think. Just make sure there's options to keep you going.

I think once your sat on the plane you can take a huge sigh & relax, you can't do anymore so relax. I hate flying but was surprised how quickly it went & it's all soon forgotten once you land in beautiful Wellington trust me.

Oh thank you all for your kind words! I think if it was just me flying I would pop a pill and be out for the count. But with children it makes it more difficult. Though they were very good on the flights from orlando to heathrow. AND I had a baby on my lap the entire journey (silly virgin atlantic and no air cot!)

From what I have looked at air nz goes through LAX. (I will check out via HKG) and I have heard about herding of cattle in a small room. I am not really up for that. Being an American citizen that really makes me shudder.

Another question, on the layovers I have heard of shower rooms etc.... anyone ever used them? what do you need or is it provided (towel etc). I think that would help me, I always feel so yucky and gross on flights.

As the weeks go on I will probably switch this anxiety over to another one.... like temp housing! HA and you'll be hearing that one from me.

With kids have you thought about a stop over for a couple of days in LA? We did & was so glad we did it, not only because it's too far away to get to Disney now but the time difference between LA & NZ seem to help the jet lag & adjust to the time, also it's a free stop over so just paid for the hotel & park for 2 days, although there were only 3 of us then :-) Still managed to leave the car seat at the airport, amazingly they found it on our return very easily.

My in laws & brother have used the showers in HK & said they were great, everything provided as far as I know & great to feel refreshed after a long flight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast