Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age and cut off dates for children at school.

Default Age and cut off dates for children at school.

I have been trying to find out what the year ages are and what the dates are for the next yr. In uk school starts in september, my sons birthday is in september so he is now year 5, and one of the eldest in his year. Will he be in yr 6 in a NZ school??

How old is your son? It is all based on age here in NZ.

My older son would be in Year 1 if we were still in the UK - he's a November birthday so not far from September. He's currently in Year 1 here, moving into Year 2 in February. So, at a glance, I'd say your son would be in Year 5 here, starting Year 6 in February. I think!

From previous threads on here it seems each school can differ. I think our school 'years' starts beginning of June but I know I have read on here before that by your sons age, that a school could put him in either year depending on his abilities. Although some schools may not budge & just put him in the year for that school. I think you ned to be e mailing the school to ask them for a definite answer

Schools can be pretty flexible when dealing with immigrant children. They seem from many reports on here to be willing to take time to check what the child already knows and how confident they are. The curriculum isn't the same as in the UK, and even when similar subjects are studied, how they're taught, and the order topics are put in, won't necessarily be the same, so teachers know that incomers are going to need support, and that's treated as more important than chronological age.

thank you, he is 10 years old, didnt think about the way things are taught, a lot to think about have been looking at schools but waiting to see exactly what area we will be living. Think I will email them and get some more information.
    Thanks again

If he was born in September 2002, he would be Year 5 here as well He'd even be among the oldest - just not *the* oldest. In most schools, the oldest children in each year are June/July babies - sometimes May - but as mentioned before NZ is pretty flexible depending on the child's needs.

Yes he was born Sept 2002, would he then be moving to yr 6 in Feb 2013?

Yes unless you think he should do a whole year of year 5.

Quote Originally Posted by fury147 View Post
    Yes unless you think he should do a whole year of year 5.
    And the school would be advising you based on their findings working with him to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast