Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wellington Bound (well maybe)

Default Wellington Bound (well maybe)

Hi

Looking for advice on moving to Wellington. Have a job offer (yaay!) but am a little worried about the rental market, have been having a look but there doesn't seem to be much available. Moving over with OH and Kids (10 year old boy, 9 year old girl). Budget of around $500 a week but if we can get lower great! Think we will be ok if we stick to that as we just have my salary for now, OH stay at home dad. Looking for non private co-ed schools.

Thanks all

Even I'm looking for same infn...Anyone from Wellington?

$500p/week should get you a decent rental property in Wellington, within a 15 min bus/train journey of the CBD. You will no doubt find some shockers being advertised for more than that, so don't get too disheartened at the start of your search. It may take a month or two, but there are gems to be found - I can confirm that was the case for us!

Well done on the job offer and good luck with the move. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

We're in the same boat as you right now, a bit overwhelming isn't it??!! And to be honest, you can look at all the pretty pics of houses on the internet, and it isn't quite the same as actually going to a viewing!

Fingers crossed it all works out!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

$500 a week is plenty. We budgeted that and we have a nice 3-bed house in Island Bay (desirable area) for $450. You may need to look carefully, but there will be plenty of choice. You can afford to be picky as well.

Hi Manks, Can you plzz guide on the preferred, desired wellington areas and range of rents. Say, if my office is near WestPac loc in Wellington what would be the ideal choice for me. Thanks

I agree, $500 a week is plenty. We've just rented a nice 3 bedroom place in Wadestown for $465 a week. $500 was our upper limit, we saw 12 places in 4 days and while nothing is perfect - obviously, as you're renting - there is a lot around and a lot of decent stuff. We ended up trying to chose between 3 places and chose the most expensive! We wanted a view and an interesting section, there were some lovely family homes around for less than we paid but they weren't quite what we were looking for - they would be ideal had we had a family to consider but we don't!

I would suggest looking in Ngaio - I saw some really lovely rentals there which I wouldn't have had any qualms about buying. My husband thought the area was too family oriented for us, so would probably be perfect for you! It is around 10-15 minutes on the train from Wellington depending on whether you are going to Ngaio or Awurara (sp?) St.

Lots of other good areas too though. I've been really impressed with the rental market here, compared to London anyway!

Raj4210- Westpac is very close to the train station, so you have a lot of good options!
    KatieLouP- As it's been said, 500pw is a good budget to find a nice rental.
    My biggest advice is to take your time and look for a good rental when you arrive. It's hard because you want to settle right away, but looks can be deceiving when you are new to the country. We made an error and rushed into our first rental and it was not a nice neighborhood at all. Fortunately, we were able to get out of it because they found a new renter right away and we found the perfect rental in Tawa for $400pw, more than the $340 we paid in Taita, but so worth it!
    There are a lot of nice areas in Wellington but it's hard to list them because they offer different things. The rents vary quite a lot as well. Trade me will give you a good idea of what you'll get in your price point for an area. I know a lot of people think Tawa is too far from town, but we live right by the station and it's a 14 minute train ride to town. Popular areas seem to be Lyall Bay, Khandllah, Newlands, Thorndon, and Haitaitai, and the rents are higher in these areas.

Thanks a lot Ana.....One more thing, meaning 1 or 2 bedroom: Does it include Hall separately or just a room thats it. I mean by 1 bedroom, does it mean 1 bedroom and hall separately.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Raj4210 View Post
    Thanks a lot Ana.....One more thing, meaning 1 or 2 bedroom: Does it include Hall separately or just a room thats it. I mean by 1 bedroom, does it mean 1 bedroom and hall separately.
    Some apartments are advertised as 1-bed but are actually studios. It's hard to say with regard to rooms + hall. You would need to look at them.

As for suburbs to look at, it depends on your needs and wants. If you have a family and want a house or just a couple looking for an apartment.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast