Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs up for NZ Dairy Milk

Thumbs up Thumbs up for NZ Dairy Milk

A few years ago, I took a trip to Australia and brought back some Cadbury's Dairy Milk for a taste comparison to the local stuff, which was Irish at the time. (I also had some UK too.) It did not do well in the comparison and the general consensus of the Cadbury lovers in residence was that it could be a problem were one to move Down Under.

During my recent job interview visit to Wellington, I therefore made sure that I purchased a bar of NZ Dairy Milk for another taste test. Last weekend, we visited the same friends and before, bought some UK Dairy Milk and did a straight comparison.

Happily, for all those Brits out there who might worry about such things, the NZ Dairy Milk acquitted itself well. The general consensus was that it was a lot like Galaxy chocolate in the UK. Not quite similar enough to get a proper fix of Dairy Milk but certainly good enough to make to in between trips/visits.

(I also brought back some Hokey Pokey Whittakers chocolate, which was pretty good. My wife and I certainly polished it off quickly enough! )

I really like Whittakers. What did you think of the Pineapple Lumps? Be honest!

Pineapple lumps are vile - chocolate covered bits of rubber

Simon

Sorry, have to disagree - NZ Cadbury Dairy Milk is horrid - tried it again last Christmas and have now resigned myself to having to give up chocolate once we get there Have decided it is a fair swap - Live in NZ or eat good Cadbury's Dairy Milk - looks like NZ will have to win

Though saying that I do think that UK Dairy Milk no longer tastes the same as it used to, it seems much more 'grainy'. Not so nice.

I think Pineapples Lumps must be an acquired taste. We have Kiwi friend who lives here in the UK and we have to bring her back Pineapple Lumps and Tim Tams as they are the things she misses.

Have to admit that I have adapted to NZ chocolate too well. Whittakers and Cadbury's are both OK, love pineapple lumps, milk bottles, eskimos and jaffas! The only thing my son and I miss are the corn crunchy sticks. There is just no equivalent here......

Although I'm not big into chocolate, I tried Cadbury's Dairy Milk and found it to be vile in comparison to the UK stuff.
    Tell you what I do miss is Walker's crisps....Bluebird are a horrendous replacement :P

Quote Originally Posted by mikeandcaroline View Post
    We have Kiwi friend who lives here in the UK and we have to bring her back Pineapple Lumps and Tim Tams as they are the things she misses.
    Before we left the UK, you could buy TimTams in Tescos.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    Tell you what I do miss is Walker's crisps....Bluebird are a horrendous replacement :P
    Would agree with that. We got into Grain Waves as our 'chips' of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Before we left the UK, you could buy TimTams in Tescos.
    I know you can get Anzac biscuits at one of the supermarkets but never noticed Tim Tams in Tesco - must check when we go next week.

Am loving being back in the land of pineapple lumps. Maybe because I was brought up here. What I'm really struggling with is finding decent tea bags. You just can't beat Yorkshire Hard Water tea bags... We have some arriving in the shipping container but until then everything else seems to taste of dishwater! Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast