Thread: Changing Plugs

Default Changing Plugs

Just about to change some plugs over from UK ones to NZ ones now that we've got a lot of our boxes unpacked. I'm ok just to make a straight swap, aren't I? Do I need to worry about anything else?

You should be ok. The UK and NZ have the same voltage/frequency for electricity. Check each device if you're unsure; somewhere on the outside it should list its compatible voltage/frequencies. If it says it's compatible with 230 or 240 V and 50 Hz, you're good to go with just a plug adapter.

We haven't bothered changing any plugs, just use plug adapters.

But I have quite a few plugs, given to me by a very kind forum member - and adapters cost money

All you need is plugs shaped for the NZ electrical outlets. If you have those, you're good. You don't need expensive voltage regulators or transformers or anything like that.

Yes, they're all proper NZ plugs. Some of our things have sealed/moulded plugs so I won't touch those, but others will be easy to replace. Thanks for your help!

I managed to buy a couple of adapters on TradeMe for those all-in-one plug / transformers. Much cheaper than the usual high street stores.

Some of the NZ plugs are fairly flimsy (when compared to a typical UK plug) and you do need to decide of which major retailers plugs are best.

I just changed the plug on a uk 4 gang extension lead that solved it for the stuff I didn't want to change the plugs on.

We found that relying on adapters is a pain (like teaspoons-where do they all go?). We've changed everything over to NZ plugs except for the high voltage items we brought over that we'd like a fuse to help cover us thanks!

Beware using adaptors, make sure they are good quality....our washing machine was plugged into an adaptor that melted after a couple of weeks.