Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me your bargain finds!

I get a lot of stuff at the local dump/recycle centre. Some have better shops than others but we've picked up everything from board games to a tramping buggy to a fridge.

Also, I buy clothes at SaveMart. I go to the two in Blenheim and Nelson and they are really good. There are two in Wellington but I've never been. I'm sure they would be better as there is a larger population up there. http://www.savemart.co.nz/

I picked up some great outdoor furniture during our neighborhood's non-organic waste pick-up. We were out on a jog this morning and the entire neighborhood looked like a junk yard. But on our way home we came across this great looking outdoor furniture that someone was dumping. I sent the hubs home to get the car while I staked our claim. And the cost was Free!! And today we also picked up a great deal on a TV during the Labour Day sales. Amazing price!

Not bargains but for cheaper deals:

Local produce from market or local stands.
    Pak n Save
    Get a Countdown card, Fly Buys and AA for discounts and points on things/fuel
    Gull for fuel or Pak n Save after shopping there
    Check warehouse's weekly special, ie shower gel, shampoo, tampax etc on sale at various times
    Briscoe's when sale is on (most of the time)
    Trade Me
    Outlet malls, Te Rapa in Hamilton, Pumpkin patch outlet for good quality kids clothes
    Sign up for paying utilities by direct debit, up to 22% discount for electric with Contact

Hope this helps.

An Entertainment book is good value - they cost $60 for Wellington ($12 of which goes to the school etc which you buy it from). It is basically a book full of discount vouchers for restaurants, hire cars, cafes, cinemas etc. We got the money back on this year's almost immediately by getting a discount for a hire car.
    http://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/home
    I have had a few good deals from Grab One too - a daily discount site. You do need to be careful of this though as some companies underestimate the interest they will have and can't deal with the demand afterwards. Been great for things like hair cuts etc. I would be more wary of companies offering say 2 hours labour for the price of 1.
    http://www.grabone.co.nz/wellington

kiwihusker, I am eagerly awaiting inorganic trash day here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    It just doesn't exist....

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Also, I buy clothes at SaveMart. I go to the two in Blenheim and Nelson and they are really good. There are two in Wellington but I've never been. I'm sure they would be better as there is a larger population up there. http://www.savemart.co.nz/
    Good to know with little ones growing!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    I picked up some great outdoor furniture during our neighborhood's non-organic waste pick-up. We were out on a jog this morning and the entire neighborhood looked like a junk yard. But on our way home we came across this great looking outdoor furniture that someone was dumping. I sent the hubs home to get the car while I staked our claim. And the cost was Free!! And today we also picked up a great deal on a TV during the Labour Day sales. Amazing price!
    YEAH! That is what I like to hear! someones junk is your treasure :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Not bargains but for cheaper deals:

Local produce from market or local stands.
    Pak n Save
    Get a Countdown card, Fly Buys and AA for discounts and points on things/fuel
    Gull for fuel or Pak n Save after shopping there
    Check warehouse's weekly special, ie shower gel, shampoo, tampax etc on sale at various times
    Briscoe's when sale is on (most of the time)
    Trade Me
    Outlet malls, Te Rapa in Hamilton, Pumpkin patch outlet for good quality kids clothes
    Sign up for paying utilities by direct debit, up to 22% discount for electric with Contact

Hope this helps.
    That is REALLY good to know, thank you. They do that here but I think it is really pence off your bill.

So, when sales are on. Is it like a Monday to sunday type thing, or is it really hit and miss? I got so confused upon moving back over to the UK from the states. USA is pretty much, sale items from Sunday to Saturday, one week maybe two if it is an elec store.. Also, here in UK if things are 2 for £2 you have to buy the two to get the offer (not the case in USA) how about that in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    An Entertainment book is good value - they cost $60 for Wellington ($12 of which goes to the school etc which you buy it from). It is basically a book full of discount vouchers for restaurants, hire cars, cafes, cinemas etc. We got the money back on this year's almost immediately by getting a discount for a hire car.
    http://www.entertainmentbook.co.nz/home
    I have had a few good deals from Grab One too - a daily discount site. You do need to be careful of this though as some companies underestimate the interest they will have and can't deal with the demand afterwards. Been great for things like hair cuts etc. I would be more wary of companies offering say 2 hours labour for the price of 1.
    http://www.grabone.co.nz/wellington
    Thanks for that info!

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    It just doesn't exist....
    NOOOOO!!!!! Well, there is always the Trash Palace....

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    We had ours collected on 20th October here in Albany

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast