Thread: Help me find my dream location.

Default Help me find my dream location.

Hi. My name is Kevin.

I'm looking to move to New Zealand, but have no idea where to end up when I get there. I was hoping for some help on what areas are good. I like the South Island, and Queenstown seems great. Except I have read that it has a rather high cost of living. A quick run down of some info could possibly help you help me. I like the mountains, and want to be close enough to one to snow board in the winter. But during summer I like to surf. I'm happy with a 2 hour drive or so in ether direction. I don't like to much of the city living as I've always lived in a city. But need to be near somewhere with a good night life. Yet rural and agricultural aren't ideal. I like the forests and lakes to. And close to Queenstown to travel in when I have time. Aside from snow boarding and surfing I like riding my dirt bike, so my perfect location will have to be somewhere I can just jump on the bike and ride out experiencing the great locations NZ is famous for. I know that a lot of what I just wrote contradicts itself, but I suppose its just a good balance I'm looking for. Next up is work. I'm in IT. My sister is a teacher with 5 years experience and my mother has her CIS. Her current position is financial manager. So this "Dreamtown" needs to be somewhere we can all find decent work. My niece will be coming with as well, and she's in grade 4. Throw on top of that the need for a not to expensive living cost, and property prices that don't seem ridiculous. And I'm good to go. I know nowhere like this could possibly be real, so any places that fill as many of these check points as possible would be very interesting to me. Thanks all.

Hello and welcome.

It sounds as though you need to look carefully at the INZ website, to check that you are all going to be able to qualify for visas. Given the family relationships you mention, you aren't going to be able to be all on one - each adult will need to apply separately.

We are all going about it separately. I'm just trying to decide on where to move to as it affects where we will be working. And a place to stay and a job to come over to is needed for part of the process. Plus I like to research a lot for such a big decission. Just looking for some quick direction as there are so many wonderful places to go.

Good luck with everything. You're right that quite a bit you're hoping for is contradictory, so at least you're prepared for that.

We live in Renwick, Marlborough at the top of the South Island. From here there is the Rainbow Skifield, which is 90mins away. http://www.skirainbow.co.nz/

Surfing, there is the local break at Robin Hood Bay, 20mins away or you have Kaikoura again about 90mins away.

Lots of forestry trails for your bike.

Nelson Lakes http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec.../nelson-lakes/

Blenheim is the main city, pop approx 30,000. So IT work, teaching and financial stuff is all possible.

Hi Kevin,

You just described much of the South Island.
    As Beachcombers described, Blenheim is a good place. It has a nice little CBD with great restaurants and bars but it is a pretty slow paced "night life". Robin Hood Bay is a pretty unreliable break and Blenheim is not a very "beachy" town like other places in NZ. Kaikoura might be more suited for you in that sense but then the jobs are more limited. Perhaps the outlying areas of Dunedin or Christchurch. It doesn't take long to drive out of town to find a semi-rural lifestyle. You would then be closer to Queenstown. Dirt biking is really big all over NZ, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a track wherever you live. I don't know what type of cities you've lived in but, Dunedin is quite small for a city. It seems to be the best place to start your search. I could be biased, although I live in the Nelson region, I absolutely love Dunedin and Otago. It is just a bit too cold and far from my family for me.

From what you've said Kevin, Christchurch is your closest, best match.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will start looking into those places. Hope to find somewhere that fits me.

I'm in the very same situation as Kevin and I was looking around the Queenstown, Dunedin, Invercargill areas and came across Te Anau. Does anyone know if this is an ok area? I too am in the computer field but what I do I can work from home if any of the companies there allow this.

Te Anau is very small town, South Island. If you want to live in a very rural and isolated area, it is extremely beautiful there. It is a long way from everywhere and it rains alot. If that is what you are looking for, it's perfect.