Thread: Requirements for Permanent Residence Visa

Default Requirements for Permanent Residence Visa

Hullo!
    Been studying the above on NZ website and just want clarification on this item: 'hold, or have held, that resident visa for at least two years continuously.'

The term 'continuously' confuses me. We are currently holding residence visas valid for 24 months (multiple entry) and are planning to enter in February 2013 (as per the set deadline). Does the above statement mean that we need to stay in NZ for 2 years continuously OR that we automatically cover this requirement as the residence visas granted to us is valid for 24 months?

Can someone please advise?

Thanks guys!!!

Hi,

I think the validity is relevant when your visa has been activated. I believe you have been given a timeframe when you need to be in NZ correct? If yes, my understanding is that the visa will then be valid 24 months from day of activation/arrival to NZ as this was also the case for my JSV with 9 months validity and would expire 9 months from the day I arrived.

kitcams, you have the visas in your passports now, but the two years which counts for part of qualifying for PR won't start to be counted until you activate the visas by arriving in NZ and presenting your passports to be stamped at immigration at the airport. That first paragraph on the page about PR is saying, in effect, that the earliest time you can claim PR is two years after your arrival in the country.

You then ALSO have to demonstrate commitment to NZ by fulfilling ONE of the other conditions mentioned further down the page. Whoever of your family is the principal applicant has to do this - as long as s/he does so, the others will also get their PR. You don't HAVE to apply for PR at the earliest possible moment, and your Residence visas do not lapse while you are in NZ. What does lapse after two years from activation of the visa are the Travel Conditions that are issued with your Residence, so if you're going to be out of NZ once the two years have elapsed, you need either to have got PR, or renewed your travel conditions (details of that are on the side bar of the page where you've been researching PR), as, otherwise, you COULD see your Residence visa lapse.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by kitcams View Post
    We are currently holding residence visas valid for 24 months (multiple entry) and are planning to enter in February 2013 (as per the set deadline). Does the above statement mean that we need to stay in NZ for 2 years continuously OR that we automatically cover this requirement as the residence visas granted to us is valid for 24 months?
    Although you have a piece of paper in your passport, it does not become a visa until you have it stamped at Immigration upon first arrival. Then the 24 month clock starts ticking.

When did you have your blue stickers put in your passport? You say We are currently holding residence visas valid for 24 months and are planning to enter in February 2013 (as per the set deadline) - do you mean you will have had the blue stickers for 24 months in February 2013 but not yet entered? If so, you need to check your deadlines. You only have 12 months from the blue stickers being put in your passports to be able to activate them.