Thread: excess baggage

Default excess baggage

Hi Everyone,
    We fly out in 2 weeks with Cathay Pacific. As we have emigrated before, we won't get any migrant extra baggage allowance My OH is very worried that we won't be able to meet the 20 kg each restriction. What is the best way to send another 20 or 40 kg bag? Ideally to send it over before we fly out or on the same flight. I don't really want to drive back to Auckland to pick it up say a week later.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Canny lad

Will the airline allow you to bring the extra bag if you pay for it? I'm pretty sure most airlines here allow you to bring extra (within reason), as long as you're willing to pay their excess baggage fee... not sure how it is in the UK though...

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would call Cathay (phone number from their website is +44 (20) 8834 8888) as their excess baggage policy on their website isn't very clear.

Many airlines will allow you to book extra pieces in advance. When we flew back from the US on BA, I paid about US$50 in advance for an extra case. Air NZ also has a similar policy.

We flew with Cathay and they let us off with loads.....it is a bit of a nightmare trying to pare it all down........hours before you fly and it's still over weight....you think you'll never do it....we gave so much really needed stuff away

Hi everyone,
    I will check out your suggestions. Thx!
    Canny Lad

check this if its value for money otherwise sevenseas worldwide might be good option too.

It's also worth checking the cost of having an overweight bag. The max allowed is normally 32kg. It worked out cheaper (and easier) for us to have 2 overweight bags than an extra one.

Quote Originally Posted by Canny Lad View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    We fly out in 2 weeks with Cathay Pacific. As we have emigrated before, we won't get any migrant extra baggage allowance My OH is very worried that we won't be able to meet the 20 kg each restriction. What is the best way to send another 20 or 40 kg bag? Ideally to send it over before we fly out or on the same flight. I don't really want to drive back to Auckland to pick it up say a week later.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Canny lad
    Hiya,

We flew out from the uk about 2 weeks ago, we had an internal flight with BA to London, then flew Cathay. We were over the baggage limit and although our residency was approved the day we flew they couldn't get the increased baggage allowance.

When we called them, they said you cannot buy and extra bag and would simply be charged their excess baggage rates which were 44 quid per kg over!!

We sent 10kg via parcel force for about 120 quid which was the cheapest we could find at such sort notice and was cheaper then the potential 440 quid we may have had to pay! It was delivered to our hotel. As it turned out our bags were still over the 20kg, one was 2kg over the other 3. We didn't get charged for any excess though, poss because BA allowances are 23kg. We checked the bags all the was through to Auckland so no problems in London or Hong Kong.

We also filled our hand luggage to the max. They were never weighed and were definitely far over the 7kg allowance given. We had 2 cabin sized suitcases, a backpack and a messenger bag. We were carrying 2 coats each too with the pockets filled with small heavier items! I may even have hard a thinner zip up jacket and a thick jumper round my waist too!

We had absolutely no problems at all but maybe we were just lucky. Our extra 10kg arrived within a week as well!