Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best value family car?

Default Best value family car?

Looking for any views on the best value family car in New Zealand just now. New or nearly new. If it's any help, I'm currently a Mondeo Man. Would like a hatchback or station wagon. A bit bigger or smaller than the current (quite large) Mondeo is fine. Diesel or petrol is fine by me. Ta.

We bought a second hand Honda Odyssey on arrival...people carrier, loads of room, many on roads so no hassle with spare parts. Wouldn't worry so much about new/nearly new here...average age of car on the road is 10 years and there is no need to drive a brand new car!

It really depends upon your definition of 'value'. Not much advantage in running a diesel car because of the way RUC (road user charges) are structured. Toyota are generally considered to be the most reliable and long lasting. I drive a Mitsubishi wagon that I paid $1800 for some years ago. Approaching 350,000km now and no complaints.

New or nearly new is a difficult one. I guess value means you can forget European cars, although the VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 140 is a very good car, mid $50K.

Wouldn't agree no point in running a diesel; in pretty much all examples, a diesel 4 cylinder engine is far better than a petrol equivalent in terms of performance and torque, so always worth going for, even without $ savings.

Other than that, well, the likes of Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores aren't bad, especially on offers, you can get XR6 or SV6 often for $45K or so brand new. Not economical, but nippy, smooth and enormous.

Or, a real bargain is the Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0 SEXi - only $29K brand new, and comes with leather/bluetooth etc., test drove one of these and interior quality/ride is actually pretty good....

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

European cars are notoriously expensive to run due to the hassle/difficulty/cost of getting parts from Europe. Japanese cars are very common because it's a lot easier to get the parts. You see a lot of Subarus on the road (we have a Legacy wagon). Holden (Vauxhall) and Ford have local (Aussie) access so parts are easy for those. So you can find your Mondeo wagon if you like! I saw one in a yard yesterday for $15k (I was just driving past though so no ideas on age/mileage/condition/fuel).

My husband bought a 2nd hand 2008 Nissan Wingroad for 15500k and it has been an awesome car, plenty of room for labrador in the back and 2 6/8 yr olds and all of our stuff!!!

If you were a Mondeo man back in Blighty I'd suggest you look at the Subaru Legacy Wagon, Toyota Camry or Honda Accord( or of course a Mondeo but I'd hazard when you look at a comparison price wise you'll be getting an older model for the same money you'd get a new shape one for at home). We were is a similar boat when we arrived and our research led us to those models, we ended up with a 2009 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5L Petrol Auto for $16k

I agree with above, i.e. Honda Odyessy, as plenty about. Though there is also the larger Honda Step Wagon, and some stylish Honda Mobilo's. But also Toyota Estima/Emina, also plenty around as people carriers. Though if fuel ecomony is important, mid size/cc rating hatch backs, e.g. 1300- 1500 cc may suit depending on family size. Vehicles include Toyota Funcargo and 1st, Mitsubishi Colt and Mirage, Honda capa and Fit, Mazda Demio, and others of similar cc ratings and size.

I found "European" cars tend to be cheaper than Japanese imports but that may just have been the ones I looked at. You should be able to get a diesel estate Mondeo or Astra 08 onwards for less than 15k. We choose an Astra mainly due to the ISOFIX child seat fixings, additional airbags and higher safety rating than many of the imports available.

Check out the dog & lemon guide. We ended up with a Toyota Wish and it is brill and I don't usually give a toss about cars. Unlike the Estima you don't feel like you're driving a massive people carrier the whole time (we've only got two kids and just felt most the people movers were total over kill yet we wanted to accommodate extras with ease and not in fussy to put up with cramped leg room seats like the new Mitsubishi outlander has), yet the rear row of seats give full leg room and also easily fold to a totally flat boot space, unlike a lot of other 7 seaters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast