Thread: Share your experiences if you have applied under the 'Tertiary Lecturer' category?

Default Share your experiences if you have applied under the 'Tertiary Lecturer' category?

Hello,

It seems not many people (atleast on this forum) are applying for SMC under the tertiary lecturer category?! Or those who are applying under the said category are just content on being 'lurkers'. Anyway, if you are applying under the said category, please share your experience under this thread. If you are already in NZ, and looking for a job (or found a job), please share your experiences. I see a couple of fellow forumites who got jobs in NZ universities, and who are regulator contributors.

I am particularly interested in the following:

1) Those who teach/do research in the business domain (university business schools etc)

2) Those who are applying to Private Tertiary Establishments (not just unis and politechs)

Thanks

G

Often people in this situation have been offered a job prior to applying for visas and then often go via the Accredited Employer (Talent visa) route.

Good luck with your application and your job hunt.

That's what I did.

In most disciplines in higher ed in NZ international candidates need a doctorate and a research track record (publications, grants). Those who don't have those have struggled, either at the job search stage or the Immigration NZ stage. In many parts of the world lecturers have magistral degrees only: that's unusual here in NZ in the sector overall.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Often people in this situation have been offered a job prior to applying for visas and then often go via the Accredited Employer (Talent visa) route.

Good luck with your application and your job hunt.

Hi Gandhara
    I am the man who can reply all your queries.
    I applied under skilled migrant category obtaining bonus points for shortage skills under University Lecturer .
    I have a master's from NZ and a ongoing Phd (defense remaining) and several years of teaching and research experience.
    I am here and looking for jobs in Polytechs and PTE.
    I am from engineering background and so it is hard for me to find jobs in PTEs.
    But if you are from Business background and have a phd and some years of teaching experience, PTEs will definitely give you chances.
    There are like 20 odd PTE running business courses in Auckland. Plz visit the following website.
    http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers/re...?regionCode=20
    I think you dont need to worry. It will definitely take some time but you must be fine. But one thing is for sure, these PTEs don't have much full time jobs, they are looking for people to do some modules of some courses here and there. You will be surprised to know that a PTE running 3-4 programs in Business have 2-3 full timers (old and loyal ones).
    I have been called by a PTE and will be starting a part time job soon. PM me for more info.

I think we two can open a PTE once you come here and run some programs in Business and Technology hehe... just kidding
    Last edited by MK33; 1st November 2012 at 11:17 PM.