Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bring bike or not

Default bring bike or not

This is my way around unless I am doing a big shop. I have a bike trailer for the two girls.

To bring or not two bring.
    Wellington is hilly and windy.... LOL yeah, that would be fun towing 90 pound chabbies!

BUT honestly I love my bike and the girls love the trailer.

What about customs? Could I really get it clean enough?

PS, sorry if I am asking repeat questions, I did do a search on bikes and threads came up from 2007 so hopefully I am not beating any dead horses. I did notice in that thread that helmets are mandatory... so I would need a new one.

Could I really get it clean enough?
    Loads of people have - why not you? Go for it! (It's not customs who worry about this. It's biosecurity, safeguarded by the MPI, formerly known as MAF. If you Google them, you'll see the requirements.)

We brought 5 bikes. You can get them clean enough. I know it's a bit stressful to think about cleaning everything but you can do it. It will be fine.

Absolutely, bring it. We brought our bikes, not a problem.

I would be prepared for not using the trailer very much, though. I certainly wouldn't use one in Auckland, not mainly because of the hills (I'm sure you could train enough to make that work ) but from a safety aspect. Cycling in NZ is not for the faint-hearted, and I would carefully consider routes when pulling a trailer.

I've seen quite a few recently in Palmerston North, so if it's flat and there are cycle paths, it should be possible. But get a feel for it first where you live would be my suggestion. The hostility here towards people on bikes can be quite breathtaking.

Daniela

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It's definitely OK to bring clean bikes. Even if they're not clean, biosecurity will just charge you to clean them for you. Our inspector commented on how well we'd cleaned our bikes. You need to makes sure there's no signs of mud or grass on them. She also said that some people have been known to not even bother cleaning them after their last ride!

One of the things I like about New Zealand is that you can cycle pretty much year round. Even in August, I have had some wonderful rides and seen some countryside that I would not have seen otherwise. If you don't bring your bike with you, you will end up missin it and having to get a new one.

My bike wasn't even inspected. I indicated it was washed with hot soapy water and hand dried.

Bring them- it is so exciting when they arrive (especially if you still haven't gotten round to buying a car like we have, after two months!)

We cleaned them with soap, water and Jeyes. MaF inspected, no problem

The lawnmower was a different story. Despite hours of cleaning, they took that. Waiting for them to release it...

Ta,

I am still on the fence about it! I have a whole 2-3 days to make a decision.

Why are you on the fence? I have 5 bikes I plan on bringing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast