Thread: Learn something new every day

Default Learn something new every day

I took a leather jacket in to a tailor to get the zipper replaced. Got the jacket back a little less than a week later... and the zipper was on the "wrong" side.

Being from the States originally, I'm used to the sliding "zip" part of the zipper being on the right side for men's jackets and left side for ladies'. So I took the jacket back to the shop this morning and told them they'd done it backward.

They looked at me like I had a cactus growing out of my forehead. They'd never heard of jackets having the zip on the right for men or women. Sure enough, one of my workmates has a faux-leather jacket... and the zip is on the left. Apparently that's just how it's done in New Zealand.

I've lived in this country for over four years, but I still keep learning new things and finding new, little differences—like where the zipper goes on a jacket.

This was a totally new thought for me. It got me prowling around our house in the UK inspecting zip fasteners, and I find that, whosever clothes they are on, the sliders are on the left - it's not just in NZ!

Ok, you got me, just dashed to check here too. Slider on the left.

I had a look through stuff we'd bought in NZ but the only zippers were on jeans and they don't seem to do right and left on jeans zips. UK mens zips are defo on the right. Just thinking about zipping up with my left hand seems weird. I'll do some shopping when we get to NZ again and get a left handed zipper just for the sheer pleasure of the kiwi experience.

UK mens zips are defo on the right.
    Not on what's in our house!

First of all, that zip on the left, zip on the right, male/female thing is nonsense... May have some historical significance a billion years ago, but I own men's clothing from all over the world, and it's either or... It's certainly no different in NZ; I own 3 NZ purchased jackets, with two zips right and one left... It's really down to the designer/production, and that's it.