Thread: Where to live???

Default Where to live???

Hi all, hoping to move to christchurch from scotland in January I have a few school and nursery questions if anyone can help? By son is halfway thru primary 2 here so if he goes in to year 2 in feb what age will everyone be? I' m worried about him being far older or younger than everyone else. Also can anyone recommend good area's with a good school possibly with a pre school nursery joined on? Wots the difference between pre school and kindergarten?
    My partners hoping to come out for a visit to look round area's etc but unfortunately I won't be able to. Thanks Jx

Here are the approximate ages for NZ school years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...s_of_schooling

hi Jill,

Your son's year will be mostly determined by his date of birth, but usually they'll also do some testing or chatting to work out which class he would fit into best. I wouldn't worry too much about being the oldest or youngest - there was a girl who started from the UK in DD's class last term whose test results put her right where a Kiwi kid of the same age (who would have started school 9 months later) would be! So essentially, it all balances out.

Preschools are open pretty much 7am to 6pm (most offer half or full day sessions), while kindies are open something like 9.30am-12pm and 12.30-3pm - a much shorter day, and they don't all offer a lunch club. I don't know of any that are on the same site as a school, but that doesn't mean they don't exist There are a couple of each very close to DD's school - easy walking distance for littlies - and they try to get in some transition days for the ones getting close to 5yr old to meet future classmates.

Please bear in mind that Chch education is in a bit of a muddle at the moment, as the govt tries to rationalise schools based on how rolls have changed since the EQs, repair bills and so on. Some areas are in a greater state of flux than others - obviously the eastern subs are likely to undergo massive change, but there aren't many areas where some kind of change hasn't been proposed.

There are a few of us on this forum with school-aged kids in various parts of the city - I'm in the SW/Halswell area, Mamee is in Sumner, etc - so if your partner identifies an area let us know and we might be able to give you more info

Hi there, he's not yet accepted the offer he has until Friday! We're just trying to find out as much as we can before we make the final decision! The nursery my daughter goes to over here sounds more like kindergarten, is it government funded of private? I know, it's hard not to worry tho, it's the complete unknown. I know kids would settle in and be happy regardless. Thanks for ur info I'll let u know wot we decide. J

Thank you:-)

As for where to live.....well, West of the City. Fendalton, parts of Brywdwr, Merivale.....

Quiet, safe, good facilities (pools, shopping etc.), near enough to city and malls and easily the least damaged roads and least quake damage.

Steer well clear of Sumner and New Brighton - New Brighton is a hovel (sorry....it is), and Sumner has roads like a bunched up carpet. OK to visit, but you'll destroy any half decent car in no time.