Thread: Notary or solicitor?

Default Notary or solicitor?

Hi...need some documents copied, which is cheaper a Notary or solicitors or can they be done by an approved person at Magistrates Court?...for free...I know they do this in NZ but just checked out an x-pat forum and someone said to try the courts in UK...anyone with ideas/experience?

I used the Mag Court in Sunderland for mine. The clerk didn't really understand the costs for this (depending on the court it may be more or less common) and originally quoted me a £25 per document to sign-off. I explained the situation, that I had 12 copies of documents that needed to be signed and a stat declaration to swear so she spoke to the lead magistrate (who was a JUstice of the Peace) and they agreed to do the whole thing for the single fee of £25. You need to book in advance. In my case I was brought in as soon as the emergency (child custody) hearing was completed.

I got ours done by a local solicitor in Walthamstow in London. Just wandered in in my lunch hour off the street and he did it all for me (about 5 pages) there and then for a fiver. Good deal! Sometimes the local solicitors aren't as busy.

Post Office do it £7.50 for three copies...

The solicitor (in Scotland) dealing with the sale of our house did them for free.

And in New Zealand any justice of the peace will do certified copies for free.

I my case a military officer (free) perks of the job I suppose. But in all seriousness there has been some good answers so far.