Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Buying a car

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    223

    Default Buying a car

    Hi all,

    Just wanted to get some thoughts. We need to think about getting a car - we are struggling a little without one, however I have absolutely no idea what I am looking for or what is a good price for anything. I've had a look at various websites including Turners Car Auction, TradeMe and some of the dealers websites and everything seems very varied in price.

    I want a small, fuel efficient automatic. Seriously the smaller the better - I've only ever owned small hatchbacks like fiestas and my last car was a Smart!

    We really don't want to spend more than about $4,000 if possible and everything seems very old and expensive compared to the UK. Everyone says Japanese cars are best out here because the servicing costs are less, but they seem so much more expensive and I really don't know any of the makes/models.

    I would really appreciate advice, thoughts, recommendations re: both good cars and good places to buy.

    Thanks
    Laura

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dairy Flat, Auckland
    Posts
    1,774

    Default

    We have had Toyotas for many years both in the UK and over here and we both have Corolla's here and have never had any trouble with them. They hold their price well because of their popularity. here is a link to a car in your price range in Wellington . My dad has had a Corrolla in the UK for twenty years now from new and apart from tyres, brakes etc has never had a problem with it

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-524629288.htm

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm also thinking of buying my first car in that kind of price range too. The cars I've been looking at are Honda Logos, Toyota Starlets, Nissan Micras, and anything similar...

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-526325605.htm

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-527750492.htm

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-525860672.htm

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lauralocks View Post
    Hi all,

    Just wanted to get some thoughts. We need to think about getting a car - we are struggling a little without one, however I have absolutely no idea what I am looking for or what is a good price for anything. I've had a look at various websites including Turners Car Auction, TradeMe and some of the dealers websites and everything seems very varied in price.

    I want a small, fuel efficient automatic. Seriously the smaller the better - I've only ever owned small hatchbacks like fiestas and my last car was a Smart!

    We really don't want to spend more than about $4,000 if possible and everything seems very old and expensive compared to the UK. Everyone says Japanese cars are best out here because the servicing costs are less, but they seem so much more expensive and I really don't know any of the makes/models.

    I would really appreciate advice, thoughts, recommendations re: both good cars and good places to buy.

    Thanks
    Laura
    Problem is Laura is for $4K, you're going to be looking at least 10 years old for anything. You're also staring down the barrel of a private purchase (a deal with markup will sell you a right crock for $4K so steer clear).

    You'd have to give up your dreams of a Fiesta or a Smart, and my personal advice would be to steer clear of rubbish like Starlets and the like - you'll end up with something from the 90s, plastic, nasty and also with very unsafe crash zones and unsafe on the roads. Especially given the number of old 4 by 4s around.

    Given the fact almost all cars are autos, and petrol, and that combination isn't economical either (diesels are hens' teeth in NZ, bar BMWs/Audis), you may as well get something a little larger.

    Sadly the default cheap good value cars in UK - Focus, Polos, Golfs, Fiestas, Corsas etc. are 3 times the price in NZ. $4K would get a decent 2002 Focus in the UK. In NZ - more like $12K!

    Subaru Legacy Estate is probably the best all round car value wise in NZ - if you get the non-turbo petrol ones (preferably smaller 2.0). Acceptable fuel economy, comfortable, usually well specced (climate etc.), cheap to maintain/repair, and, if cambelts are done, they go on for ever - 300,000km +. Also 4WD so good for some of NZ's rubbish roads.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, UK to Rotorua, NZ
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Hondas and Mitsubishis seem to be the norm here in Rotorua. We got a 2001 Honda Odyssey with about 80k on the clock for $6500.
    There are some decent cars around but you need to look hard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wellington, NZ from US
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    I think you are on track with Trade Me and Turners to get a cheap little car in your budget.

    A few thoughts on Turners:
    I believe the Turners auctions are on Thursday afternoons. As I've said before, be careful of the auction; try to bring someone with you if you don't know about cars. Having said that, there are descent Japanese imports there; we got our '97 Honda Odyssey for $2500 (would have been cheaper if not for the bidding war and our determination to drive ourselves home!) and we are very happy with it. It even gets decent fuel efficiency.
    We went there with a list of the cars we had an interest in and inspected them to the best of our ability; underneath we looked for signs of old and new leaks around the seals, behind the wheels at the brakes and cv joints, and at the chassis for obvious damage. Under the hood we looked at all the obvious stuff, looked at all the fluids (oil, atf, power steering etc) and looked at all the spark plugs. We took one off our list because the plugs were covered with nasty looking oil. Anyway, we looked as much as we could and they let you take them for a spin around the building. There is a slight guarantee on the car, but not a great one.
    We found a mechanic in Tawa we are happy with and the WoF went fine. We've had a couple of repairs done but nothing expensive yet *fingers crossed*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Each to their own though I guess.

    I've always found Honda Odyssey's as horrible machines - slow, cumbersome, hideous plastic interiors and incredibly dull to drive.....

    Really depends on your expectations, but if you've come from the UK, it's a given that you're going to have to accept driving something which is significantly worse than you're used to.....Only real exception is if you're buying new, when some cars - e.g. Holden Commodore SS, Falcon XR6 Turbos etc. are reasonably priced and give enormous performance a fun for the money and are somewhat of a bargain compared to UK prices.

    If you want a car as a means to get from A to B, fine - but if you want something enjoyable to drive, comfortable with a a nice spec and a nice place to spend time.....you've come to the wrong place....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wellington, NZ from US
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    One of the things we really like about New Zealand is no one judges you for the car you drive. All that matters is having an affordable car that gets you there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    One of the things we really like about New Zealand is no one judges you for the car you drive. All that matters is having an affordable car that gets you there.
    Very true! I love the lack of car snobbery here. I couldn't stand it in the US where, because I had something smaller than an SUV, I was obviously poor (I wasn't, but who cares?) and to be looked down upon by those who would happily drown themselves in debt, all for a status symbol that couldn't even thank them back. I really love not having a car loan, and also being happy with what I drive, and also not giving a toss about what other people drive, but how they drive as that has far more effect on the community.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adams Girl View Post
    Very true! I love the lack of car snobbery here. I couldn't stand it in the US where, because I had something smaller than an SUV, I was obviously poor (I wasn't, but who cares?) and to be looked down upon by those who would happily drown themselves in debt, all for a status symbol that couldn't even thank them back. I really love not having a car loan, and also being happy with what I drive, and also not giving a toss about what other people drive, but how they drive as that has far more effect on the community.
    Well that is true - cars are not a status symbol in NZ.

    Not sure though I would laud that as some sort of good thing; car accidents are sky high and the quality of driving is woeful in NZ, one of the negatives; the WOF is inconsistent and incredibly easy to get a car through; a modern car has lots of driver aids, ABS and often excellent crumple zones/pedestrian hitting designs. I dread to think of the number of deaths of motorists and pedestrians due to some old piece of Japanese automatic rubbish driving around which makes up most of the cars on the roads.

    People caring what you drive as you can harm others with it is a pretty good thing imo!

    Question as well is what you're happy with - if you don't care about cars, you're fine - plenty of low mileage nondescript stuff which gets you from A-B - but if you see a car as something to be enjoyed, well......very small % of cars on the roads which would be enjoyable to drive. I went in a new Toyota Camry Auto the other day. The motoring equivalent of bran flakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •