Thread: Christmas in NZ - send them a hamper with cake, pudding, mince pies and other goodies

Question Christmas in NZ - send them a hamper with cake, pudding, mince pies and other goodies

I'm visiting friends in Dunedin over Christmas and would like to send them a hamper with cake, pudding, mince pies and other goodies. I know it's not going to be a typical uk Christmas, a lot warmer perhaps, but all the websites I've tried don't seem to want to include these items. I'd even be prepared to get someone to make them. Anybody got any ideas?

Hello and welcome.

Do you mean you're trying to get those things from NZ suppliers? If that's so, it's not really surprising they're not offering them, as they're not part of NZ tradition. The season is like UK June, and much heavy food would really be uncomfortable. People who've grown up with the southern hemisphere Christmas regard it as part of the summer holidays, so think picnics, barbecues and camping.

Have you tried the various 'English shops'? e.g. the top few hits here. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf...iw=818&bih=519
    If they can't help, and you're keen to provide the reminders of home, I think you're right, and getting them cooked as a special order (or special favour by an amateur) would be your only hope.

But you can buy mince pies, and Christmas cakes in the shops...., it is not really part of our tradition (different Christmas cookies for us), but there are loads of people here celebrating in a traditional English way! Especially in Dunedin, where it might feel much more like a 'Northern hemisphere Christmas' then further north!
    I would try to google 'catering' or something like that, I am sure you will find someone in Dunedin or on the South island who delivers these sort of hampers!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

If you're struggling, you could always try one of the British import shops. I'm sure they might be able to do something. The shop in Petone does online ordering:
    http://www.britishgoods.co.nz/

And this guy is in Queenstown:
    http://www.thebritishlollyshop.com.au/t-queenstown.aspx

Perhaps just email them and see what they can advise? It won't be cheap though as you'll be paying import prices.
    Last edited by Manks; 29th October 2012 at 01:18 PM.

You can buy Christmas puddings, jars of mincemeat and mincepies in supermarkets here in Wellington. The Mackenzie brand of Christmas puddings are great. Not sure that helps in your search, but you can get them easily, in Wellington, at least. Some of the more upmarket bakeries make mince pies too. You may be shocked by the price though, considering they are made here.

My favourite store in Auckland is Nosh http://www.noshfoodmarket.com/ that sells Xmas puddings from Waitrose.

Last year a purchased a couple and kept them until the weather cooled down and had them then.

Planning to do this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Downsedge View Post
    I'm visiting friends in Dunedin over Christmas and would like to send them a hamper with cake, pudding, mince pies and other goodies. I know it's not going to be a typical uk Christmas, a lot warmer perhaps, but all the websites I've tried don't seem to want to include these items. I'd even be prepared to get someone to make them. Anybody got any ideas?
    Do you know if they 'do' xmas UK-Christian style, or Kiwi-Beach style? They may just like it if you came along with some steak, shrimp & salad, and some nice bubbles to quaff. Personally, I don't miss the UK xmas, it's too hot here in summer. There again, I have this feeling I was born in the wrong hemisphere anyway, as xmas in summer seems perfectly normal to me and has done since I got here. I hate xmas in winter!!