Thread: Is it possible to leave NZ after applying for citizenship?

Default Is it possible to leave NZ after applying for citizenship?

Hello,

I will be applying in a few months for my NZ citizenship. I was planning on getting a WHV to go to Australia while my application is being processed (i.e. after lodging the application and before it's processed). Is this possible or will it cause problems?

Thanks!

There is a time requirement (days lived within the country) included with other aspects for NZ citizenship. You can check it here. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...nd-Citizenship Scroll down to 'Presence'.

You are required to have:
    Been present in New Zealand; for at least 1,350 days with New Zealand residence during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    for at least 240 days with New Zealand residence in each of those 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There is a time requirement (days lived within the country) included with other aspects for NZ citizenship. You can check it here. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...nd-Citizenship Scroll down to 'Presence'.
    Another requirement is re intent (same link):

'You must intend, if granted New Zealand citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand.

You must advise the Citizenship Office if you intend to go overseas..

If you travel overseas after lodging your application, the processing may not be completed until you return to New Zealand.
    '

Plus citizenship isn't complete until you have the ceremony, which has to be in NZ..

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Another requirement is re intent (same link):

'You must intend, if granted New Zealand citizenship, to continue to reside in New Zealand.

You must advise the Citizenship Office if you intend to go overseas..

If you travel overseas after lodging your application, the processing may not be completed until you return to New Zealand.
    '

Thank you very much for your replies, I really appreciate it!