Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasses and optometrists... Ouch!

Post Glasses and optometrists... Ouch!

Things you wish you'd done before coming back to NZ #34.

I so wish I'd gone to get new glasses and had my eyes re-tested before I left the UK. I just visited an optometrist yesterday to have a check-up and to order prescription sunglasses (the sun is so bright here!). I ended up with the sunglasses and a new pair of glasses (prescription inevitably changed) and a bill of just over $1000. Very ouch! Not a fancy optometrist either. Just much cheaper to do in the UK. Remembered to visit the dentist before coming back, thankfully!

Yup, hubby and I both got 2 pairs of new specs before we moved over. He's just hard his eyes tested again and the goal posts have moved, but the easiest thing to do from our end is to simply get the lenses replaced. Much cheaper than paying exorbitant prices for frames too!

Cor blimey, so glad I sorted a couple of pairs out before we left the UK! That is extortionate.

Not nice! That's so expensive. I got an eye test, and a pair of glasses and sunglasses from specsavers in Wellington and I was lucky to get it much cheaper than that. They're offering 2 for 1 at the moment I think, $299 for both. Unfortunately my sunglasses are now somewhere in the Pacific, but that's a different story..
    Last edited by girlwithanewf; 31st October 2012 at 04:39 PM.

I had an eye test at Specsavers last Month free because I had an AA card. I had the result printed out and when I see a good deal in glasses I shall pounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    I had an eye test at Specsavers last Month free because I had an AA card. I had the result printed out and when I see a good deal in glasses I shall pounce.
    Ahhh... most sensible. I wish I had had the foresight to do the same. Maybe that's what my problem was - lack of foresight! lol. Will remember the tactics next time cos that was financially painful!

For a single pair of glasses today I was just under $1500! The joy of having high myopia and now needing progressive lenses. I cannot complain too much as this is on a par with the 6-700 GBP I was quoted for customized progressive lenses before leaving the UK. The frames are a pittance ....it is the blasted lenses that are the painful part. There are few choices when you get above -10 lenses...and then age take over and you need them adjusted for reading. I need them to be a productive member of society so have to pay....otherwise it's guide dog time!!

When looking at spec saver opportunities they never take into account progressive lenses above -10. Even the optician today was having to phone the various companies to check what levels their lenses would accommodate. Compete pain!

O-o-o-o-oh, I share your pain, one super-myopic to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran View Post
    This is another thing - your prescription is YOUR personal information, and yet some opticians apparently don't want to share! Of course they have no right to deny a copy, and they would eventually front up, but soooo annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkgirl View Post
    Things you wish you'd done before coming back to NZ #34.

I so wish I'd gone to get new glasses and had my eyes re-tested before I left the UK. I just visited an optometrist yesterday to have a check-up and to order prescription sunglasses (the sun is so bright here!). I ended up with the sunglasses and a new pair of glasses (prescription inevitably changed) and a bill of just over $1000. Very ouch! Not a fancy optometrist either. Just much cheaper to do in the UK. Remembered to visit the dentist before coming back, thankfully!
    The reason I had laser eye surgery over here, the cost will pay back in years to come & I was getting frustrated at having to change from glasses to sun glasses everytime I went in & out of shops, the sun is so bright here I struggle most days but never looked back since I had the surgery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast