Thread: Job Interview - Final HR Discussion - Advice Needed

Default Job Interview - Final HR Discussion - Advice Needed

Hello

I came to New Zealand for job interviews. I have managed to clear the initial screening in one of the IT companies and I have my final HR round of interview this week. Can you share your experiences on what kind of discussion will be in the HR round? Any tips and advice on what to do and what not will be greatly appreciated.

I am just one step short of getting this offer and I really can't afford to miss this opportunity.

Hello and welcome.

congrat
    in which IT sector?

Hi,

It's hard to be sure, as many companies will do this differently, but what I am presuming is you have passed the "technical" interview, and are now on the second level.

HR rounds tend to be to ascertain your likely behaviour as an employee of the organisation; whether or not your personality profile is suitable to the role for which you have applied for. Organisations tend to be cautious in NZ as the labour laws are very prescriptive - for example, in the UK, you can end employment for someone relatively easily in year 1, in NZ, it's very difficult - so if they get a bad employee, it tends to be something they're stuck with!

Typical questions would be asking you to provide examples of circumstances when you did X, Y and Z. How did you feel? How did you cope with it?

Questions like "tell me about circumstances where you came into conflict with another team member, how did you deal with it etc.", or "tell me about a circumstance in which you made a change in your business or improvements which was well recieved, how did you go about it, what did you do first, how did you feel etc. etc."

What they are looking for is honesty, comfort in your answers, and as opposed to huge technical details, method and approach.

E.g. to last question "tell me about a circumstance when you made a change which improved", and you used the example of introducing a new Expenses System, they are more concerned in the approach to change management, how you methodically went about project managing it or appointing the right people etc. as opposed to the technical build (i.e. it did tax at an extrapolated percentage etc. etc.).

Finally, they're likely to be keen on self-awareness - i.e. that you are aware of areas you need development in, and would welcome the opportunity to do this.

Good luck!

It depends what was in the first interview. What did they cover then? In my first interview - I had three, all on the phone - the first was just a "getting to know you" chat, the second and third were quite deep dives into technical stuff and the fourth phone call was the verbal offer.

Thanks edw123 and adams girl for the help. I have managed to complete the interview earlier today and I think am very close to securing an offer. EDW123, the points you mentioned in your comments were absolutely correct. It was almost the same kind of questions in almost the same order. I really appreciate your help and for taking the time to respond back.

Adams Girl, You were lucky to have all interviews on Phone. I had to come down to NZ to secure a job interview first and to come up to this level. Still, I understand it involves a lot of hard work and patience whatever the mode of interview is... Good luck for you on your career.

rajwinder1001 - Its for a software product company in NZ.

Overall, Thanks everyone for all the help offered. I hope I share the good news soon.

Should probably add my job is a HR Manager in Christchurch, so it was pretty easy....

Irony is that you'll likely go through a tough process (as you have) and get an offer, only to encounter some absolute muppets in your job who you can't understand got through the same process - way of the world.

Still, software product promotion/management etc. is still in it's infancy in NZ, so with some overseas experience of some high volume markets, chance to make a massive impression. Market is far from saturated as it is in the UK, and investment/development opportunities are vast - especially with the ChCh rebuild - so an exciting time....

Hi edw123

My reference checks are completed and am waiting feedback from my prospective employer. What would be the next steps after reference checks? Any knowledge sharing will be grateful.

Also, I have another question in mind. Am back in my home country after a 2 week recee and now if I get this offer, will I be able to request for relocation allowances related to my airfare, logistics, initial accommodation, etc? Is it generally provided by all employers? What other points should I definitely consider before accepting the employment offer with them?

Quote Originally Posted by pravs2185 View Post
    if I get this offer, will I be able to request for relocation allowances related to my airfare, logistics, initial accommodation, etc?
    This varies enormously between contracts and employers. My offer included the costs of flights but nothing else and I negotiated my professional registration fees. In hindsight, the things to consider asking for:
    -initial accommodation (e.g. 4 weeks in a hotel/apartment)
    -professional registration fees
    -visa/migrant levy fees
    -flights
    -shipping container
    -medical exam expenses

I am kind of kicking myself for agreeing the contract so quickly as once it's agreed there's not a lot of negotiating power you hold. I think a lot of what is reasonable depends of the industry and your role.

Quote Originally Posted by pravs2185 View Post
    Hi edw123

My reference checks are completed and am waiting feedback from my prospective employer. What would be the next steps after reference checks? Any knowledge sharing will be grateful.

Also, I have another question in mind. Am back in my home country after a 2 week recee and now if I get this offer, will I be able to request for relocation allowances related to my airfare, logistics, initial accommodation, etc? Is it generally provided by all employers? What other points should I definitely consider before accepting the employment offer with them?
    Hi, Well, it does depend on the recruitment process followed by your organisation. I'm in Public Sector with transparency where a role has to be approved, costed and signed off before it's recruited for. So following references (bear in mind these can take a while with overseas/time zones etc.) it's usually verbal offer, the written conditional offer (conditional may be police check or practicing certificates, visa etc. dependent on role).

However, your organisation may be one who advertises roles anyway and then has to get further approval/sign-off before they hire, which itself could cause further delays.

As for relocation, well, it's a case by case basis, no hard or soft rules, IRD fairly relaxed about it.

Where I work has a maximum of flights (economy) for you and immediate family, 6 weeks temporary accomodation, shipping of goods (not car) up to a certain value.

Unsure you'd get VISA etc. or car hire as these have tax implications....