Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need NZQA Assessment for my undergrad.

Default Do I need NZQA Assessment for my undergrad.

Hello All,
    I did some searching and I couldn't find an answer. This may be addressed before. If it is sorry.
    My undergrad degree is not in the exempt list. But my Master and PhD are in the list. All three are in Environmental Engineering.

So My question is do I need to assets my undergraduate degree? It doesn't effect the point calculation? I guess PhD oversees everything.

I asked NZQA and they said it is up to INZ. I couldn't find an e-mail address to ask.

Did/does one have the similar issue?
    Any Suggestion

Ozer Orbay

Quote Originally Posted by ozerorbay View Post
    do I need to assets my undergraduate degree? It doesn't effect the point calculation? I guess PhD oversees everything.
    Hello and welcome. I was in a similar position. In my case only my highest degree (also PhD) was looked at. If it is on the list you may be okay. I have heard about some COs requiring the specific qualifications listed on the LTSSL (e.g. a Masters), which I didn't have, but I think in most instances common sense is applied. I would put in my EoI as is if I were in your situation. What field are you in?

ozerorbay, it depends on what level is required by LTSSL.
    I guess PhD oversees everything.
    Not exactly. For example Level 7 needed for IT qualification. And it cannot be 'oversatisfied' by higher levels - you need exactly Level 7 recognized to satisfy LTSSL requirements. In your case your highest degree is probably Level 8 or even Level 9. And if your unrecognized undergrad is likely to be Level 7 and you need exactly 7 - then I guess you have to recognize it in NZQA.
    Above example is IT only, better refer to LTSSL to check your specific requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by KolA View Post
    ozerorbay, it depends on what level is required by LTSSL.
    One thing to consider is that if your profession requires professional registration then INZ may accept the professional registration process as a suitable assessment of your qualifications. The list of professions requiring registration by law is here.

The phrasing that I used was

For my qualifications I have included copies of each of my degree certificates. These have separately been examined by my professional body in New Zealand (***name of registration body***) and assessed as satisfying the equivalent New Zealand award, as evidenced by the enclosed letter from them and my subsequent registration in New Zealand as a ***professional title***.

Hello and welcome.

I agree with the last two posts.

The reason for the Level 7 requirement seems to be as follows. In some countries, it's possible to gain a higher degree where some small aspect of a subject would be studied in great depth, without first having a bachelor degree which would prove that the candidate has the breadth and grounding from the basics of the subject upwards. Such a higher degree would be given a Level 8 or 9, but would not PROVE (as a Level 7 would) that the candidate has broad general understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by buraddo View Post
    One thing to consider is that if your profession requires professional registration then INZ may accept the professional registration process as a suitable assessment of your qualifications.
    Good point, thanks IT doesn't need registration so I know almost nothing about it.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

My profession (environmental engineer) is not required to registered, it is not in the list.

I thought, if you get higher degree from a university that is in the exempt list, you should not need to assessment, Since your undergraduate degree is accepted and verify by the university that offered the higher degree. Also undergraduate, master and PhD are in the same field; Environmental Engineer.

I checked LTSS list and find that one of the requirements is "qualification specifically recognized by NZQA as comparable to a: Master of engineering degree". Do you think this may help since I have the master of Science degree.

I cannot find an e-mail address for INZ.

Thanks
    Ozer Orbay

ozerobay, just have a look in LTSSL ofr Environmental Engineer (both columns 3 and 4):
    A Washington Accord accredited engineering degree
    OR
    Either a qualification specifically recognised by NZQA as comparable to a:
    • Bachelor of Engineering, or
    • Bachelor of Engineering (with Honours), or
    • Master of Engineering degree
    OR
    A bachelor degree (Level 7) or higher with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meets he
    academic requirements for registration as a ‘Chartered Professional Engineer’ in New Zealand
    OR
    NZ registration as a ‘Chartered Professional Engineer’
    You have to meet at least one of the options divided by captial "OR" (4 options). 1st - is your Phd "A Washington Accord accredited engineering degree" one? If not, then 3rd and 4th are not your case I suppose, only 2nd left: Either a qualification specifically recognised by NZQA as comparable. IMHO if you don't meet options 1, 3 or 4 then you have to be assessed by NZQA. Or maybe exempt list means qualification considered as already NZQA-assessed? Don't know exactly, let's wait what experts will say You may also ask a question on the immi web site:
    - go to http://dol.govt.nz/immigration/knowledgebase
    - search any word in right text box
    - "Still can't find an answer? ... you can send us an online query." will appear and you can make the query
    Last edited by KolA; 2nd November 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: logical error fixed

Hi again,
    I wrote to INZ and got below answer. It is not a clear answer. My understanding is I don't need to asses my undergrad, since I am claiming point for my PhD which is in the exempt list.

Will try like this..

"Dear Ozer

Thank you for contacting us.

The qualifications that you intend to claim points for must be recognised; if the qualification appears in the list of qualifications exempt from assessment, then the qualification need not be assessed by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.

Please see here for information about recognised qualifications:
    <http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/caniapply/qualifications/default.htm>

Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Kind regards"

I thought, if you get higher degree from a university that is in the exempt list, you should not need to assessment, Since your undergraduate degree is accepted and verify by the university that offered the higher degree.
    ozerorbay, there are many old threads here where people have spent a lot of words on what they THOUGHT an INZ rule would be, or, worse, what they thought it SHOULD be. What we each think doesn't enter into it. The important thing is to find how to present our own situation in a way that will fit through the INZ rules as they are.

INZ do not take a foreign university's entry criteria for granted. Your bachelor's degree will need to be assessed if it is not on the exempt list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast