Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up against it?

Interesting about leaving the information about tourist visa off applications. I suppose when employers are looking through CVs initially they are scanning for reasons to bin CVs. Not having a correct visa would be a good reason I guess at that early stage.
    We left it out of the CV/cover letter; if it was a direct question asked on an application, we answered honestly (and never heard from them again!) I suspect you are exactly right on the initial CV cull. Apparently most jobs have ridiculous amounts of applicants and the hiring teams get a bit overwhelmed. That's something we've heard several times, anyway.

Immigration always ask me whether I know people in NZ to which I normally say yes. I wonder what their agenda is when asking this question? Perhaps they suspect you are more likely to overstay if you do know people.
    I recently happened to see some of a TV programme concerning the work of the Australian customs people. They were questioning someone they were wondering about as a would-be illegal worker. They asked him why he wanted to visit Australia, and he said he just wanted to see it. Then they asked what things in Australia he wanted to see, and he couldn't name a single tourist area or attraction, even when prompted, 'What about in Sydney? Is there any famous building in Sydney you can think of?' - he just said he might go to the beach. Then they asked him if he knew anyone in the country, and he said no. For them, that 'no' was the clincher that he wasn't a bona fide visitor. They said real visitors have plans - places they want to see, or things they want to do, or people they want to visit, or all three. They then went on to investigate his situation back home, to see if he had people, a job and/or a home waiting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    They said real visitors have plans - places they want to see, or things they want to do, or people they want to visit, or all three.
    This reminds me of my job interview. As they would be expected to do, my interview panel asked me if I have a vision for where I would like to take my role in their organisation, or a plan to develop myself professionally or within the post. I just said 'no. I usually just follow my nose and it leads me into good places'. The feedback after the interview is that this is exactly what they were looking for from the ideal candidate. I think you are always better off being honest about these things, rather than trying to predict what someone is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    My degree is already on the list exempt from NZQA checks so it should be good for the 50 points. Unfortunately it is not related to ICT so I cannot gain any bonus point, which would have probably pushed me closer to 140!
    Is this correct? Can you claim points for a non ICT degree but just no bonus points?

I am a ICT Support Analyst with 6 years experience but a BSC in Sports Equipment Design from a UK University. I didn't think I could claim points for a Non ICT degree if I wanted to get a Visa from the LTSSL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12