Thread: New Zealand vs Australia for Newtork Engineers (CCIE)

Default New Zealand vs Australia for Newtork Engineers (CCIE)

Hi All,

I grew up in USA. Have worked as an Network Engineer. Now, thinking about either moving to New Zealand or Australia.

I am kind of indecisive as I am reading mixed reviews online, so just wanted to retrieve some practical experience reviews.

Follows are my concerns.

1) Finding work in my field ( Telecom Network Engineer, Voice Engineer, CCIE) in NZ vs AUS?
    2) Cost and Standard of Living in NZ vs AUS?
    3) Diversity of people with different religions?
    4) Place to raise a family? I am recently married and hoping to have kids soon.

If you have experienced both, feel free to share. Your feedback will be an asset.

Look forward to hear back folks.

Thank you!

Hi,

As a general perception, they say AUS is better in terms of opportunity & $$.
    Again its an individual's approach as to how it is looked upon.

I am also into Networks. We do have opportunities in both places from the research done so far.
    As for Diversity, both countries have a mix of different people having migrated over the years from different parts of world.

All the best!

Australia is better career wise (further professional and financial growth). cost of living is high in NZ and so is in Australia. But since salaries are much higher in Aus, your savings might be bit more. Not my first hand experience, but heard many people who have migrated there saying so. For rest of the concerns, if you are in a big place like Auckland or Wellington, it should not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by rv1103 View Post
    We do have opportunities in both places from the research done so far.
    If you have Australian PR............You also get right to live study work in NZ. If you have doubt which country is better for you & there is opportunity to secure Australian PR, go ahead & decide the the country later in your life.

True, but don't forget that getting Australian PR takes more years out of your life - however long the Residence visa takes to gain, then at least two years living/working in Australia for their PR. It depends on a person's age and stage of existence, if they feel they can afford that when they may look back on it eventually as a mistaken detour or dead end.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    True, but don't forget that getting Australian PR takes more years out of your life - however long the Residence visa takes to gain, then at least two years living/working in Australia for their PR. It depends on a person's age and stage of existence, if they feel they can afford that when they may look back on it eventually as a mistaken detour or dead end.
    True, a confused person attempting to ride two horses, may end up loosing. Nothing is better than clarity to begin with. And of course the circumstances & stage of life do matter a lot.

Also if eventual goal is take citizenship of NZ, any time spent in OZ maybe a loss when meeting the time criteria of commitment for NZ citizenship.

Having said that, advantage of Australian PR --- For SMC in Aus you get direct PR, you dont have to wait for 2 years residency then PR (like in NZ). I am referring to Visa subclass 189 & 190 (prior to July it used to be called 175 & 176). They have many visa subclasses to keep one amused

Back to the topic, there is still a case, if somebody is in position to secure Australian PR it is workable. Though its very different process (from NZ) to get the Aus PR. For instance skill assessment itself may take 2-4 months without which NO SMC.

One should do research well & evaluate what suits best in their circumstances. Not only to get entry but also their migration goals in next 5 year.