Thread: Challenges as a new skilled migrant

Default Challenges as a new skilled migrant

Can any one reply-

1)Your top 5 priorities for settling in NZ as a new skilled migrant
    2)What do you think will be the difficulties you might encounter in settling in NZ as a skilled migrant?
    3)What are those things that you think you will have to adjust to if you live in NZ as a skilled migrant?

1, Buy a warm house. ( need to do research on this one )
    Never refuse an invitation for coffee, drinks or meal.
    Have an open mind.
    A hobby that lets you mix with locals.
    Support the All Blacks
    2,Cant answer as dont know your background but we came from UK so no great cultural shock.
    3, Things you've taken for granted in your home country aren't necessarily the same here or in the same place or have the same significance

Quote Originally Posted by farzanakhan123 View Post
    Can any one reply-

1)Your top 5 priorities for settling in NZ as a new skilled migrant
    2)What do you think will be the difficulties you might encounter in settling in NZ as a skilled migrant?
    3)What are those things that you think you will have to adjust to if you live in NZ as a skilled migrant?
    A.
    1. Better educational oppertunities for children
    2. Improved proffessional working condition
    3. Better work-life balance
    4. Peace of mind re crime, financial security
    5. Exposure to other cultures and better ability to travel to other parts of the world

B.
    1. Culture 'gap' - with anxiety
    2. Proffessional challenges, used to do things a certain way, NZ might do different. Proffessional etiquete may differ, environment may differ
    3. From High to Low. Most SMC application are high functioning individuals in own country and will need re-adjustment in NZ could be very challenging
    4. Racism I am sure NZ have pockets of anti immigrant sentiment as anywhere in the world. My opinion is that it is much more tolerant than most countries.
    5. Cost of living. Immigration is costly and sometimes one have to start from scratch is the foreign currency exchange is punative

C.
    1. Workplace dynamics
    2. Less competitive lifestyle
    3. Getting back into property market and work you way up to where you were.
    4. Positive work-life balance
    5. Develop healthy muti-cultural attitudes

A bit of a brain teaser
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    1, Buy a warm house. ( need to do research on this one )
    Never refuse an invitation for coffee, drinks or meal.
    Have an open mind.
    A hobby that lets you mix with locals.
    Support the All Blacks
    2,Cant answer as dont know your background but we came from UK so no great cultural shock.
    3, Things you've taken for granted in your home country aren't necessarily the same here or in the same place or have the same significance
    I am South African of mixed race and has worked in Ireland and thinks NZ is very similar, but I am sure there will be cultural challenges.
    Supporting the ALL BLACKS good one ! and learning a hobby to mix in new community is excellent
    Colin

1. Good environment for kids: schools, sport, supportive community, safe neighbourhoods, outdoor opportunities (see following). Wonderful outdoor opportunities: hiking, tramping, biking, skiing, etc. Egalitarian society. Tolerance - I've seen posting here complaining about racism, anti-Americanism, etc but, like Colin above, our experience has been just the opposite.

2. Finding a challenging, well-paid job. High cost of living (depending on your comparison point). Distance from family (unless you're coming from Aussie). Assuming that just because people speak English here, the culture is the same as the UK (or America or SA). Depending on what you are accustomed to, you may find the work ethic in New Zealand to be weak and you may feel pressure to conform. Views and beliefs can be amazingly parochial.

3. Depending on your current situation, you may need to find ways to reduce your spending on nonessentials. Leaving your old habits behind and adapting to what is on offer here (instead of yearning for Brand X biscuits from "home", open your mind to the local Brand Y biscuits).

I agree with benandclare especially about never turning down an invitation as it's a great way to meet people. But be warned this has meant I've taken part in quite a few sports events including the tough gal challenge 6kms of mud!