Thread: Searching for a job with my WHV

Default Searching for a job with my WHV

Evening to y'all!
    my name is Enrico and i just moved to Auckland from Italy; I've arrived 9 days ago with a friend, we opened a bank account, we found an appartment in Auckland, and Friday we did our Apply for the IRD number. We decided to stay in Auckland untill the end of January, and of course we would like to find a job :-)

We are at the moment translating the CV in English but we are not pretty sure of what to do next and i'd like to have an advice if possible; i looked everywhere, and i'm not sure if the best move is to apply for jobs via trade-me or other sites, or if is better to deliver the CV by hand directly to the shops/stores here in Auckland, since we are looking of un-qualified jobs.

I know it seem like a silly question (sorry for that), but for what i saw, there a lot of qualified jobs offers on trade-me, and it's not what we can do with our VISA.

I thank you in advance for your answers, and i apologize for my English :-D

Cya
    Enrico

Hello and welcome.

I don't think there is only ONE, best, way. In your place, I think I might use TradeMe etc. for information, but certainly the personal approach can work very well in NZ. Employers really like to look someone in the eye to judge them in person, and it is good when they can see you have taken the trouble to go to their place of business and to know something about them. Also, you can make the point very plainly that you HAVE A VISA and can legally start at once.

Incidentally, you CAN do a qualified job on a WHV. You can do any kind of job that someone will offer you. But it must not be on a permanent contract. If an employer would like to give you a permanent job, and it is the skilled kind that could get you a work visa, he would need to give you a short-term contract (to be in line with your WHV), then an offer-letter that you could show to Immigration NZ.

Ok thanks for the infos, now i know what to do :-D

This is what you are looking for.

http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz/wor...b_listings.php