Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My move to New Zealand- Residence Visa (Partner category)/ NZ embassy in Washington, US

Default My move to New Zealand- Residence Visa (Partner category)/ NZ embassy in Washington, US

Hi all!

I wanted to share my NZ immigration experience with you all in the hopes that it may help someone. My husband (who is an NZ citizen) and I decided to move to NZ from the US.

Step 1 - Around early April 2012, I applied for police clearances from the FBI and my country of citizenship. The FBI clearance took about 6 weeks. It took about a week to get it from my country's embassy in the US.

Step 2 - Once I got the FBI clearance, I got my medicals for the residence visa application done (blood work and chest x-ray).

Step 3 - I also got together some evidence of our partnership- joint account statements, mail addressed to the same address,W-2s, credit card statements etc, photographs, marriage certificate ( we got married only last year but have been in a stable relationship for 5 years), photographs through the years.

Step 4- I put everything together along with the letter of sponsorship from my partner and completed application forms for a work visa as well as a residence visa. I assumed the residence visa would take a while but I wanted to join my husband in NZ soon.

Processing time- I sent in my application(s) and the supporting documents to the NZ embassy in Washington on July 3rd 2012. They mailed me back my passport with a work visa within 10 days. My residence visa was approved on August 17th 2012 just a couple of days before I was flying to NZ. I decided to not send in my passport to Washington DC for the residence label and the case manager promptly transferred the approval to the NZ immigration Hamilton branch. Once in NZ, I mailed in my passport to the Hamilton branch and got the residence label in about a week.

The whole experience with dealing with NZ immigration was super quick and fairly painless so I wanted to share this with anyone feeling discouraged about what they may be reading out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bachkins View Post
    The whole experience with dealing with NZ immigration was super quick and fairly painless so I wanted to share this with anyone feeling discouraged about what they may be reading out there.
    Thanks for the post. Many times people post only, when they get stuck or looking for guidance, to get out from the situation. Reading such posts in a sequence gives impression its all struggle out there & INZ as viallian

All the best with your new life in NZ

Hi and thanks for sharing your story. We've had quick processes and slow processes with INZ...we've just submitted our ITA so fingers crossed it will be the former

Great to hear our quick arrival into NZ. How are you enjoying it? Would love to hear more. And welcome to the forum.

Hello and welcome.

Hello & welcome!

P

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I got that impression when I visited this forum when my husband and I were talking about moving to NZ so I thought I would contribute some positive vibes into the forum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Great to hear our quick arrival into NZ. How are you enjoying it? Would love to hear more. And welcome to the forum.
    Thanks! It is a bit of an adjustment but I am staying positive :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bachkins View Post
    Yes, I think in general, the partner category when being having and NZ partner is the most straightforward one. Other than the occasional medical waiver, if you fulfil the requirements, you're in.

It is mainly the other types of visas that can be problematic.

Good luck with everything,

Daniela

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast