Thread: Camping over New Year

Default Camping over New Year

We live in the Wellington area and don't want to go too far, but would like to camp somewhere over New Year for a few nights. As we're not softies we camp properly in a tent and don't wuss it in a motorhome so aren't too fussed about available amenities (apart from toilet and shower) as we have all cooking stuff we need. We do, though, have inflatable mattresses and they self-inflate with the help of an electric socket, in about five minutes. That's the only time we'd need electricity.

We're down to Paekakariki Holiday Park, QE2 Park and Castlepoint. Anyone got any thoughts on any of these? I've not been to Castlepoint ever, but could probably do a quick recce if I ever get any free time at the weekend, to stop by the other two.

I've heard good things about Paekakariki but yet to try there, we looked at Castlepoint when we went for the day & the site looked nice enough, we would stay there & we are complete softies that stay in Top 10's & have electric points & a fridge but not the proper double bed we saw in Napier ;-) There isn't much to do there though apart from time on the beach & the lighthouse. Have you looked on here http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/region.php?id=8

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    I've heard good things about Paekakariki but yet to try there, we looked at Castlepoint when we went for the day & the site looked nice enough, we would stay there & we are complete softies that stay in Top 10's & have electric points & a fridge but not the proper double bed we saw in Napier ;-) There isn't much to do there though apart from time on the beach & the lighthouse. Have you looked on here http://www.nzcamping.co.nz/region.php?id=8
    Thank you for that link, most useful! I'm really looking forward to getting away from it all - even technology (gasp!) - for a few days and nights. There'll be a minimum of 5 of us, too, but possibly as many as 11, so as long as the weather holds, we can do stuff like play cricket on the beach etc. Don't tell anyone (shhhh ) but we also have a box of fireworks for New Year's Eve...