Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those from US, what do you buy from Amazon and ship to NZ? What is worth ir and what is not?

Default Those from US, what do you buy from Amazon and ship to NZ? What is worth ir and what is not?

So as I am planning possibly moving to NZ and reading about all the higher prices in NZ, I wonder those of your from US, what do you buy on Amazon and ship to NZ?

With customs fees, what is worth it and what is not?

Although I'm from the UK, there are certain commonalities going from UK>NZ as US>NZ: Books here are *incredibly* expensive, whilst prices of CDs, DVDs, BRs and video games are also higher than those you'd find Stateside.

Book example - John Grisham, "Theodore Boone: The Accused", Hardback:
    GBP - £12.99 RRP - £6.78 from Amazon UK
    USD - $16.99 RRP - $11.98 from Barnes & Noble
    NZD - $37 RRP - $24.99/$31.99/$33.99 from TheNile.co.nz (sorry, bit difficult finding random books at short notice in NZ with prices and RRPs online)

Electronics are generally fairly close to UK prices, although some white goods and small household appliances can be eye-wateringly expensive, too. As the NZD has gained on the GBP and USD over the last few years, retailers don't seem to have adjusted their prices downwards on imported goods - they still seem to be working on a 3:1 £:$ rate from 2005/2006: A £400 Kitchenaid mixer costs circa NZ$1200/£600.

Load a container with stuff from Ikea as furniture here is expensive. Bring along a year's worth of toiletries as well. Amazon is great, as it always amazes me how I as an individual can source items on-line for half the price that SOME of the retail stores charge. Either these companies are paying through the nose to their own suppliers (somehow not having heard of Amazon?) or they have enormous margins. Either way keep contacts in the states who can ship you your Amazon orders.
    Last edited by ScottNZ; 12th November 2012 at 08:11 PM.

Amazon US ships to NZ, or you can use 'shop and ship' services. I find electronics to be expensive. Laptops would be 20-30 percent expensive, compared to what you might find on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Load a container with stuff from Ikea as furniture here is expensive. Bring along a year's worth of toiletries as well.
    Doesn't customs impose a duty on anything new you pack, that has not been in your possession for at least 6+ months? Or am I wrong here?
    Also, I know from a very trustworthy source that IKEA is coming to NZ pretty soon.
    Last edited by agurkas; 13th November 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Re. books and DVDs. I haven't bought one in US for maybe 2-3 years already. All the books I buy are on Kindle and I use VPN service from Astrill.com to basically connect to say Germany, if I want to watch geo-locked German TV, or to UK, if I want to watch BBC. I know bunch of people in UK and other countries use same service and US credit card to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video.

I use a kindle too. My step mum is shipping some books to us from Amazon for Christmas for my boys. But other than that I haven't purchased anything from Amazon. I have purchased some clothing items from Asos in the UK, because they have free shipping. Free shipping is ALWAYS a good thing. Definitely purchase your furniture prior to leaving the US. It is kind of hard to prove you haven't owned something for a 6 months prior if you have already unpacked it. WE have heard for awhile that Ikea is coming, but still waiting.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by agurkas View Post
    Also, I know from a very trustworthy source that IKEA is coming to NZ pretty soon.
    I've been living in that hope for years, alas, the rumours so far have been just that!

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I've been living in that hope for years, alas, the rumours so far have been just that!

Daniela
    I am sure they are fighting with regulators as likely NZ furniture industry is scared, considering they are enjoying humongous profit margins.

Quote Originally Posted by agurkas View Post
    I am sure they are fighting with regulators as likely NZ furniture industry is scared, considering they are enjoying humongous profit margins.
    I think it was even more banal last time the rumours gained momentum: not enough parking spaces around the area (Sylvia Park). Before that, it was supposed to be Albany (I would possibly even venture out there for a trip to Ikea), not sure what the excuse was there.

Ah well. Hope springs eternal...

Daniela

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast