Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed! Schools & Pre schools in Christchurch!

Smile Help needed! Schools & Pre schools in Christchurch!

Hi all,
    We are hoping to move from the UK to Christchurch next year.
    I'd like some advice about schools in the city. Our son will be 6 and our daughter 3!

What schools are good? What shape does the school year take?
    Basically I'd like lots of info. I tried Wikipedia but got very confused!

Ginger

Hi

I am based in Sumner, Christchurch and my sons love school here. The school is a decile 10 school. The decile ratings are used to fund the schools and are based on the socio-economic profile of the catchment population. The higher the decile the less funding available as it is considered that it is more likely the parents etc. can afford higher donations to helps the school.

The school year runs from Feb to December. Not sure which year your son would be in, as children start school on their fifth birthday.

At the boys school there is a separate year 1 and year 2 class then year 3/4 classes, year 5/6 classes and year 7/8 classes. Within the 5-8 year grouping the mix up for Maths depending upon ability.

We have found schools here much more understanding of boys' development patterns. If they fidget they are sent for a run round the playground. There is more outside activities. The school is lucky enough to have use of the community pool during the day in the summer. The amount of playground equipment in all schools is amazing...every school has climbing frames, swings, monkey bars etc. the boys were just amazed.

There are zone competitions for sports, opportunities to learn musical instruments, craft classes, Kapa haka groups etc. the children take part in tidying up parks and all are encouraged to help out in the school, one of mine is a librarian and the other helps on road patrol.

I like the more holistic approach to education. Some areas are not covered eg we are not seeing the level of history we did at primary in the UK, but we are seeing a different type of grounding in the basics and NZ matters. We can provide more general knowledge.

This is just my experience and others may have differing view points. It is worthwhile visiting the schools when you arrive and get the feel of them. Go with your gut instinct is important. Any questions I can help with I will and answer.

Thanks for your reply. It all seems a bit daunting!

Daunting in what way? What do you need more help/information with?

Hi there I just noticed your post, we are also hoping to fly out early next year with 2 kids aged 6 and 3! It's all very scary just now, it's the complete unknown! We have around 6 to 8 weeks in temp accommodation when we arrive to find an area with school and pre school etc that we like. So much to think of! We're coming from Scotland, where are you coming from?

hi CGJK and Jilldo80

Most schools are open to the idea of people paying them a visit for a look around, so if you pick a few target areas maybe ring around to see who can help.

We're in Halswell, in the southwest of Chch, which is also very nice - doesn't have the benefit of a beach like Sumner though DD (5) goes to Oaklands School, where I work in the office, and before that she went to a local preschool and childminder (combo was originally due to difficulty finding one place that could have her all week but actually worked well for us!). Our school is much like Sumner's, though with fewer blended classes. I love the fact that schools here tend to have sports fields on-site, playgrounds for all ages, and most have a outdoor school pool too - the kids can play to their hearts content, and no one bats an eyelid if they take some risks.

Hope your journey to NZ is good, and give us a yell if you'd like to meet up on arrival

Hi CGJK and Jilldo80, I've got a 4, 2 and an 8 month old, and we're based in the St Albans area of Christchurch, just to the north of the CBD. The schools here seem a lot more relaxed and really promote play, for example schools seem to have lots of play areas in (which would never be allowed in the UK - as a teacher myself the climbing frame that was built at the school I worked at in the UK was never used due to health and safety concerns...!), and kids are told to wear shoes that promote play, eg trainers rather than formal school shoes. My daughter is due to go to St Albans School next April, as kids start the week of their 5th birthday. The school is very friendly, the principal is brilliant and is very community based (they have a cafe for parents every morning for example). Paparoa St School near here is also very good.
    Don't get too caught up on decile ratings, there has been calls here to get rid of them as parents often think they represent the quality of a school, whereas they have nothing to do with that, just an idea of the socio economic make up of the area (and even then not necessarily the make up of the kids who attend the school). In theory (and, looking at some results, in practise) decile 6 schools could have higher results than a decile 10. You can have a look at the ERO reports for schools as they give some ideas about results, little bit like Ofsted reports but far less detailed.
    In terms of preschools you get 20 hours of ECE (early childhood education) once the child turns 3, which you can use at different places. There are kindergartens such as Kidsfirst which are completely free (using ECE), but normally only do 3-4 hour sessions, and I know my friend's daughter was told she had to attend every day to get it free, otherwise she would be charged $11 an hour. She does really like the things they do there though, and they go on trips etc. You also get daycare (such as Kindercare) which are open all day, normally from around 7.30 - 5.30, so aimed at working parents, don't know much about these, but they look nice. You'll pay for each hour, minus the $5 they get for your ECE. Then you get playgroup/kindergarten type ones which are private and not big chains, which is the type my 4 year old goes to and my 2 yr old will start in, lots of these are montessori, which I was impressed with and did consider (http://www.learningcurvesmontessori.co.nz/Default.aspx), my friend's son went to one and they did lots of practical activities. My children go to an absolutely fab playgroup called 'Mozarts' http://www.mozarts.co.nz/welcome/index (they call it a kindergarten but we still call it what we did in the uk!), which I fell in love with when we looked around. It's based on "education through imagination" and they do loads of drama, singing, art etc, it is full of activities, amazing play areas, and my daughter never wants to leave! I hadn't seen anything like it in the UK and is a definite bonus point for NZ having a wide choice of preschools. You get the ECE funding, but we pay an "optional charge" (I don't think they're very optional though!) of $3 an hour.
    One definite bonus of NZ preschools is that teachers in them have a degree, as early years teachers have to be qualified to teach 0-5 year olds, so you don't get loads of young people not staying very long (I speak from experience with my daughter in the UK - my daughter's nursery seemed to be all 18 years olds and her "special teacher" seemed to change every 2 weeks!). My 4 year old has at least 4 teachers to around 25 children aged 2 1/2 plus, who are all in the late 20s to 40s, and are absolutely brilliant, and her special teacher has not changed once. Haha, I sound like I could go into marketing for the playgroup!
    My husband has just asked me what I'm doing and I realise I have pretty much written an essay... I don't get to have my teacher hat on anymore, so can go into boring education talk... I apologise! You'll love it out here, there is always loads going on! Went to see father christmas today at Ballantynes (big department store) which was lovely, and great fun trying to get my 3 to look at the camera... they don't give a present here though, just pay to have a photo taken which seems strange! Does not feel like Christmas at all though, is far too hot and sunny!
    Feel free to give us a shout when you get here, always up for a coffee and more than happy to show you round, we were in temp accommodation for first few weeks without a car so know what it feels like!
    Mamme and Sophie never did manage to meet you and haven't been on the site for a very long time - hopefully will meet you soon!

Blimey, having posted that, it really is an essay isn't it....

It is a good essay nevertheless!
    Very informative for me. Thanks.

This is all very helpful! I'm hoping to move to ChCh soon and I have a 4 year old and two 2 year olds. It is good that there are some free hours of education before school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast