Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1st Post! - Shipping Company to use in UK?

Default My 1st Post! - Shipping Company to use in UK?

Hi!
    This is my 1st post
    I did stumble across this forum about a year ago when I found a thread which was essentially a list about emmigrating from the UK which people would update/add to it as time went on to keep in current. Does anyone know the link for that thread please so I could get the latest info? We're most interested in recommendations/info about which shipping company to use from here in the UK please so if anyone has any advice much appreciated!
    A brief outline of our situation is that I'm from NZ origionally but have been living here in the UK for the last 15 years or so, where my Wife is from & our 2 toddlers are born. Well, finally we're making the move we've been talking about for so long & we fly out of the UK to live in NZ in March next year (2013). We've booked our flights last week but now need to arrange who's going to ship all our belongings - which is going to be alot - as we've decided on the route of take everything as we know how much more pricey things like furntiure, etc, is compared to the UK, plus we're shipping our estate car - so we're looking at a 60 ft container I reckon. Any advice of who to use or get quotes from much appreciated please! Thanks in advance
    Cheers!
    Lawrence

Hello and welcome.

Was the thread you're thinking of a kind of checklist?

I guess your wife and children have got Residence under the family stream?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

Was the thread you're thinking of a kind of checklist?

I guess your wife and children have got Residence under the family stream?
    Hiya! Thanks for the welcome
    Yes, it was a kind of a check list. I've also been reading previous posts on shipping container companies & getting a few good tips. Seems like Crown have good reveiws? I made an error on my opening post too - It's obvioulsy going to be a 40ft container we need - not 60ft - if there is even such a thing?!!
    The Wife has her medical & checst x-ray tomorrow morning as it happens & then a week to get it back & then send the application for her off under the 'Family Section' - which apparently takes up to 3 months with up to a month to get allocated a case worker - so it's going to be a close run thing - but they did say as I'm considered an Ex-pat NZ'r due to how long I've been away & how little I've been back in the last 5 years that we get a caseworker allocated straight away? I hope so because we've already booked the flights for a few weeks over 4 months away! Re; the kids, they've already got both passports (UK & NZ) as we kind of new we'd be heading over there once we had them eventually so I did it pretty much after they were born in turn to be easier when we decided to go (thought better for my Wifes' application also being both the Wife & Mother of New Zealand passport holders).
    Any advice much appreciated!
    Thanks Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, Welcome to the forum.

Hi

We were in the South East of England and used Pickfords - couldn't recommend them enough! I know others in different areas of the UK have had different experiences with them so I guess it depends on the packing team - our goods all arrived on schedule and in the same condition we last saw them in the UK. We had a 40ft high cube as we brought a car and pretty much all our belongings.

Here you go for the checklist - I expect this is the one. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10641

You've done the brinkmanship thing, booking your flights without your wife having her visa. Nobody can promise when it will come through, because it takes as long as it takes. Yes, partnership visas are prioritized, but they still check everything thoroughly, and if there's any query with the medicals, that can hold things up, so fingers crossed for you. +++++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence&Cj View Post
    The Wife has her medical & checst x-ray tomorrow morning as it happens & then a week to get it back & then send the application for her off under the 'Family Section' - which apparently takes up to 3 months with up to a month to get allocated a case worker - so it's going to be a close run thing - but they did say as I'm considered an Ex-pat NZ'r due to how long I've been away & how little I've been back in the last 5 years that we get a caseworker allocated straight away? I hope so because we've already booked the flights for a few weeks over 4 months away! Re; the kids, they've already got both passports (UK & NZ) as we kind of new we'd be heading over there once we had them eventually so I did it pretty much after they were born in turn to be easier when we decided to go (thought better for my Wifes' application also being both the Wife & Mother of New Zealand passport holders).
    Any advice much appreciated!
    Thanks Lawrence
    Hopefully you'll be fine if no admin or medical problems. We did the same earlier this year - applied and got my husband and daughter's PR through Partnership visa within a month through the London office (even though they said it would be 10-12 weeks). Headed over here in September from London.

In terms of shipping, we're using Anglo Pacific. Packing service was absolutely great, cost was on par with others. Can't tell you about the condition of stuff on arrival as it arrives next week!

Best of luck for your adventure!

Lawrence, I suggest that after you send off your application (do this SOON) and you find out who your Case Officer is that you contact him or her and tell them that you want to bring your family back to NZ and the date you intend to leave. That CO might try to help you by expediating your application. Make sure your application is perfect so that it is easy for them to assess. My application took 6 weeks from the time I sent it until I had my passport with blue sticker in my hand. My husband, an expat Kiwi, called our CO and told him when we wanted to leave and he made sure he did everything he could to make it happen. The thing that took the longest was the NZ police check for my husband and our CO had a suggestion on how to make that faster.

But like JanM said, this is all based on the notion that your wife's medicals are normal.

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    Hi

We were in the South East of England and used Pickfords - couldn't recommend them enough! I know others in different areas of the UK have had different experiences with them so I guess it depends on the packing team - our goods all arrived on schedule and in the same condition we last saw them in the UK. We had a 40ft high cube as we brought a car and pretty much all our belongings.
    Hiya! Thanks for reply & the recommendation We're right on the border with SW London & North Surrey (a very UNposh place called Mitcham but we like it & are a bit sad to leave in some ways), but anyway, were you based very far from us? I'm just wondering if we'll get your same packing team & that does seem to make a difference from what alot of people are saying. And is there a Pickfords branch at the NZ end? Also, what is a 40ft high cube? Is it different than a container? We are shipping our estate car (sorry! Stationwagon!! i I'm sure I'll get used to the lingo again! & also pretty much all we owned already & some extra stuff we bought too - for us & the 2 kids, so it's going to be quite a load. Thanks for your advice so far & sorry for all the Q's!
    Cheers, Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here you go for the checklist - I expect this is the one. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10641

You've done the brinkmanship thing, booking your flights without your wife having her visa. Nobody can promise when it will come through, because it takes as long as it takes. Yes, partnership visas are prioritized, but they still check everything thoroughly, and if there's any query with the medicals, that can hold things up, so fingers crossed for you. +++++++++++++
    Hi & Thanks! Yes, that list is perfect thanks. And yes, you're right, I knew the Visa would be ok on the basis of the relationship (married 14years this mth) but didn't think about there being any medical issues - Dohhh! She had it today & has to go back next week to pick it up & pee-in-a-pot to be dipped, so as you say - fingers - and toes crossed! It's all a bit seat of your pants for us - not because we're disorganised but life with 2 kids & running a business aye? Cheers L

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast