Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: considering New Zealand as new home!

hello everyone.
    i'm looking for some help ! can anybody here tell me if i could work in new zealand as a carpenter? i cant avail of a working holiday visa, because i'm an old foggie, ok ! not that old, but too old for the whv. my problem is, i have not got any trade papers, although i've been working as a carpenter in ireland for some time, and i learned all my trade on the job as such, like many irish men. so would i be able to gain work there without any trade certs ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sean2020 View Post
    Thanks for the info.not sure if we can rent out house as live in rural area and not much demand.Have started today applying for jobs.id be happy to go first and get settled before the family come. Kids are small. Very anxious time for us.we feel we either go now as a family or kids will def have to go when they grow up and we will be left behind.id love to hear from anyone living there at the moment with young familys. How do they find it
    Hi, I have not read all the posts so sorry if duplicate.
    OH and I moved with kids (4/6) almost 2 yrs ago from the US.(we are from UK). We live in a town of about 16,000 in the Waikato area and absolutely love it. 1 -1 1/4 hrs to either coast, good schools, very laid back way of life and amazing scenery. People generally friendly. Negatives would be lower salary and some items that are expensive but you learn to live in a different way, ie buy fruit when in season, use local markets and fruit stands etc.
    Cannot comment on CC but welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.

hi Irishman2013
    I think as long as you can prove you have been working as a Carpenter for x no of yrs you should be ok. I think ther are age restrictions tho so just check tht out.

Good luck
    Leeann

hi leanne,
    i should be ok so, if i wanted to try get a visa for threre. i've just turned 32. i know in australia i would be able to do a practicle test to prove my skills, but i dont think, or at least, i cant find any information bout the same kind of test for new zealand. so leanne, how do i prove my experiance, is a letter or maybe contact with a former employer here suffice ? some people have said that work hasn't really started and there are not that many jobs yet, is this true, am i too early looking at coming out?

just one more thing, i have seen that carpenters are making about thirty dollars an hour, not massive money, but fair and probably relevent to "living there". but can you tell me how the tax works there, would that be money after tax or before?

sorry if i'm assuming you know the trade! thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by leeann79 View Post
    hi Irishman2013
    I think as long as you can prove you have been working as a Carpenter for x no of yrs you should be ok. I think ther are age restrictions tho so just check tht out.

Good luck
    Leeann
    hi leeann,

you mentioned earlier here that you would recommend a recce trip. i am seriously thinking of doing this and just bite the bullet. do you know if companies are willing to meet people for recruitment fairly quickly, that is to rock up with my cv and cover letter and see can i meet as many companies as i can when i arrive. or do you think they prefer preorgainised meetings or recruitment days ?

Then again, do you think i'd be better to land over there, and make off the local pubs and try talk to fellas face to face, not very professional, but you probably know what i mean! you mentioned before that your husband is a carpenter, would you have any ideas to point me in the right direction regarding possible job opprtunities? and as irishman said above, do you know how the tax works there, is it like home and are the rates per hour, take home pay?

thanks for your time leeann.
    daniel

Hi irishman2013

Ahh ur not old at all lol Your correct you dont have to do any exams for here, diff from OZ altho my hubby has his trades certs he done his test in London. It depends on your background are you employed, self employed? My hubby was self employed so we had to prove 10 yrs work experience by showing bank statements,tax returns, Pics of work van , yellow pages adds, invoices,photos of work and Work references from builders he'd worked with. Work has taken off and I think coming out now wouldn't be a problem, It will take you a while to get all your stuff together for the app. You do know you will need a job offer first to get a work visa? so you may want to secure this before you come out as your not qual. $30 ph is the norm and u are taxed after this not sur of the % tho.. thers plenty of overtime. Check on Seek & trade me for jobs or you can contact Canstaff they are a recruitment comp. If ur single the money is grand.

Hope this helps
    Leeann

Hi Daniel

I would deff go for it, If you can afford to keep yourself going for a few wks until you get sorted, we got our visa in 3 days!! Check out the hostels & motels for rates or put an add on gumtree looking for a room. Just bring all your stuff with you so you can apply for the visa here. You can contact companies direct now if you want & just let them know when you think you will be out. Check out the websites above for jobs, if you get a job before u com out u r tied to tht employer for the 12 months and you cant change the contract & many of these agencies tend to pay under the going rate! so if u com out first u will b able to pick & choose who u wnt to work for and see what Carpenters are being paid.

Leeann

hi leeann,
    ha, no, not that old. what do you mean your husband did his test in london, did he not do his apprenticeship in ireland? if he did a test like thats needed for oz, could you tell me please a little about that ?

thanks for the rate of pay, i think it would be better to work direct so. i see that agency only pay about 23 dollars an hour. what does your husband do for work, is he with an agency or directly employed ?

i have been employed, not self employed, well obviously i have done my own work, the cash jobs!! So i have worked for the same employer now for nearly seven years, what would i have to show do you think? and yes i found out elsewhere that i need an offer of employment. sorry was a little hurt when you said i wasn't qualified, ha ha. just because i dont have a piece of paper, doesn't mean i am not qualified.

did the process of getting a visa take you long? was there alot involved in that ? and yes i am single, me and a friend thinking of moving out there. so i could live on that money, must try to find out about the tax rate.

thanks leeann.

My husband had his skills accessed by Vic uni in OZ, he had to travel to London for the practical part, As we wer going to go to OZ originally..but as I said u dont need to do tht for here.

My OH works for an agency atm but deff will be changing wen he can, he is getting paid more than $23 ph.

Thats good then you can get ref off him & just show ur wage slips, Im not sure what else would be needed. Ah sori I didn't mean to offend u, I just meant it may be harder for u I'm just not sure how it will work. May be someone will com along tht can offer u more advice on it. I know a piece of paper means nothing experience is everything

visa process was v quick, getting all the docs sorted was the nightmare tbh. Police check takes about 7 days in the North not sure about the South

Have u seen any jobs advertised?

Leeann

Dont't get me wrong, you might have more experience.., but I actually don't think that it is enough to have experience, I am pretty sure that you need to have a qualifivcation if you want to apply for a visa, unless it is the working holiday one. It will definitely not be enough to apply for more than a working visa, for residence you will have to provide INZ with your qualifications, and as far as I remember, you will have to do so for a work visa, too.
    I don't want to discourage anyone, but you make it sound a bit too easy.., and they are just tightening the rules so that New Zealanders will get the first pick if they are available.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast