Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: considering New Zealand as new home!

Default considering New Zealand as new home!

HI all,
    was wondering if you could offer me some advice.My family are currently living in Ireland but with the economy the way it is at the moment we are barely making ends meet.I am a carpenter by trade but have also just finished my degree.New Zealand looks like it has good prospects for us as jobs in this area are plentiful.I have a few questions mostly about money.Doing my research the average wage is 50-60 thousand dollars which is about 30-40 thousand euros.Which considering the rent in new zealand wont go far.we will also be paying a mortage in Ireland even though its a small mortage(Houses in Ireland not selling).Will we be able to have a comfortable standard of living in New zealand as that is our main reason at looking to relocate. If budget in december is a hard as last few we cant afford to stay but we dont want to jump into an even worse situation.We also would like to know whats a good area for young familys to move too? seems to be a lot of work around christ church area.

Hello and welcome.

Considering that Christchurch is supposedly looking to recruit 36,000 workers and are looking to Ireland (http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/curr...expo-0030410-1)

I would look to make contact with companies in Christchurch and look to set up interviews for yourself. You could end up earning more than $60k and you're problems could be solved. Can you rent your house out in Ireland?

Also, is it worth thinking about you moving here first and your family following at a later stage?

Thanks for the info.not sure if we can rent out house as live in rural area and not much demand.Have started today applying for jobs.id be happy to go first and get settled before the family come. Kids are small. Very anxious time for us.we feel we either go now as a family or kids will def have to go when they grow up and we will be left behind.id love to hear from anyone living there at the moment with young familys. How do they find it

Hello & welcome!

P

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean2020 View Post
    HI all,
    was wondering if you could offer me some advice.My family are currently living in Ireland but with the economy the way it is at the moment we are barely making ends meet.I am a carpenter by trade but have also just finished my degree.New Zealand looks like it has good prospects for us as jobs in this area are plentiful.I have a few questions mostly about money.Doing my research the average wage is 50-60 thousand dollars which is about 30-40 thousand euros.Which considering the rent in new zealand wont go far.we will also be paying a mortage in Ireland even though its a small mortage(Houses in Ireland not selling).Will we be able to have a comfortable standard of living in New zealand as that is our main reason at looking to relocate. If budget in december is a hard as last few we cant afford to stay but we dont want to jump into an even worse situation.We also would like to know whats a good area for young familys to move too? seems to be a lot of work around christ church area.
    You'd really struggle at $60K PA in Christchurch with a family mate.

Properties are hard to find to rent which are half decent, and you'll be paying $400 per week at least for something acceptable - if you could find someone. On $60K, you'd be getting $800 per week.

Throw in $200 at least for food, then fuel, power, etc. and your mortgage in Ireland and you're up and around break even at best. You'd need your wife to find a job at least. Then you might have childcare bills etc.

You might be OK if you got a job out in the sticks where rent is cheaper if you could get the same salary, but that isn't guaranteed and may be hard to source jobs there.

There are a lot of tradesmen in ChCh who earn good money - sure with OT etc you'd get more - but many are here for a short term to earn money, live in horrible places/share houses and simply accrue money working long hours. Know a few who've done that and with a strong Kiwi Dollar, send it back is pretty lucrative. Don't believe any of them have a family though.

Sorry this sounds negative, but given those circumstances, I wouldn't even consider Christchurch. Wouldn't UK be a better bet?

Hi Sean, you sound like we did about 18months ago when we started looking into moving... U need to contact Canstaff... If anyone can get you to NZ they can.. Regarding your house... approach the housing section in the county council.. you would be suprized what they will do for you.. and ask at your local property management agency they might have someone on the books who are looking for a place in the country... It can be done.. we are flighing out on Jan 5th and CANT WAIT

Quote Originally Posted by DG22 View Post
    Hi Sean, you sound like we did about 18months ago when we started looking into moving... U need to contact Canstaff... If anyone can get you to NZ they can.. Regarding your house... approach the housing section in the county council.. you would be suprized what they will do for you.. and ask at your local property management agency they might have someone on the books who are looking for a place in the country... It can be done.. we are flighing out on Jan 5th and CANT WAIT
    Hi Sean, welcome to the forum.

50-60k NZ$, I would think, will be tight for a family to live on, especially if you need to supplement your mortgage back home. I am sure some members from ChCh can you give you a better indication of rents/living costs in and around ChCh, as well as the details on what's available for the kids to do. (no kids, but am very jealous of all the parks/playgrounds/activities for young kids where we are!).

Have a look at the IRD (tax) website to see what your tax situation would be while here: http://www.ird.govt.nz/yoursituation-nonres/move-nz/
    There is also this: http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.nz/ but you may need to check your eligibility for it.

Also, check out the healthcare available & your eligibility based on your immigration status: http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...ealth-services

Food - personally, I think its on a par with what we were paying in Dublin 3 years ago. Have a look at Countdown, New World and Pak 'n' Save websites if you want to check out the cost of groceries here. There are lots of weekend farmers markets which can be better value than supermarket prices for veg. Lots of people have a veggie patch too, & if you're lucky, you can always trade with some neighbours for fresh eggs or such! Next to impossible to get decent sausages though!!

Electricity & gas probably a little more expensive than home*- some houses, (if they are heated) have either heatpumps or wood burners (maybe both!) so you may need to factor in wood or woodpellets for winter heating; phone & petrol costs about the same. Cars have a WOF (like NCT) every 6mths if +6yrs old; car insurance is cheaper; vehicle registration tax, I think is also cheaper than home. Clothing is probably more expensive, as are shoes, and books (I buy my books online).

Good luck with the journey!

home* = when we last lived in Ireland

Hi, it must be so exciting for you! We have 3 small children so it's a hard decision to make.how have you found the whole process? what area are you moving too.I'd be delighted to also hear from other Irish family's who have made the move already.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast