Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broadband and phone question

Default broadband and phone question

Who do you use for your internet service/landline phone?

I am confused by this whole GB issue thing, I suppose spoiled by never having to think about it with unlimited plans. What counts as stuff downloaded? skype?

Sorry... very computer challenged!

Orcon is offering unlimited for $99.... is that a good price?

What are you getting for that price?

How often will you be using the net?

I prefer to go for unlimited GB as I have older girls who watch movies, listen to music, use Skype (yes this uses data), use FB and would hate a huge unexpected bill.

We have Slingshot for landline, broadband with unlimited GB for $110 a month plus GST. Suits our needs.

Orcon said it would be unlimited GB on the broadband, and then free landline calls, ID voicemail....

what is GST?

Goods and Services Tax, roughly equivalent to the UK's VAT. (Current rate is 15%, I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by bananabellesmom View Post
    Orcon said it would be unlimited GB on the broadband, and then free landline calls, ID voicemail....

what is GST?
    Sounds pretty good to me

GST - yes sorry lol, I forget that I didn't know what it was either til I got here

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me

GST - yes sorry lol, I forget that I didn't know what it was either til I got here
    Thank you!

Check out: http://www.telme.org.nz/telme (Consumer Magazine) and http://www.ispfind.co.nz/ (independent review site, not always up to date). For more technical reviews and experiences, see http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp and look in the different forums by provider. If a provider offers "unlimited" service [they always have a reasonable use clause that 99% of the population will never violate] expect to have some traffic-shaping [throttling] and potential service impacts from the 1% who are doing heavy downloads/gaming.

We are with Snap and currently have 250GB/month (I run servers from my house and move a *lot* of data up and down) - they aren't always the cheapest but I can reach competent people on the phone in a reasonable period of time (unlike Telecom or Slingshot, whom I have had to deal with for clients) and I rarely have any issues. Telstra have fast connections in Wellington but with the recent sale to Vodafone I have been hearing (second/third-hand) a lot of grumbles about the quality of service and support.

After going through a few of them i think Orcon is out, the customer service was not good..... even from a 1st time I wanna use your service customer service....

I then contacted slingshot, and although a bit more expensive, I think they "fit" better.

When I had to organize my own services about 2 months ago, I ended up going with Telecom--much to my surprise. I'm a heavy user: I stream TV from all over the world, use Skype, do everything except download movies. I have 150GB and a landline for $89 all up. I've not gone above 100GB in a month yet.

From what I could glean from colleagues, all the "unlimited" options for me in Auckland were either: 3G wireless rather than ADSL, or offered crappy customer service.

And here's a tip: drill around to see which part of each company is offering the best deal. For example, I got Telecom to waive all set up and install fees since I was looking at an ISP that wouldn't charge any.

We now use TelstraClear for broadband and home phone line. They are always doing great deals for new customers. You get the cheap deal for the first year when you sign up and then pay the regular price after that. We pay $75 a month for 40GB broadband and a generous landline package that includes all of Auckland for free calls. (We used Telecom previously for landline, but their 'free' local calling area was half the size).

Also, with TelstraClear, I have seen that the on-demand shows on TV3's website do not count towards your monthly usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast