Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical plugs question.

Default Electrical plugs question.

I have some 110V - 240V 50hz - 60 hz appliances. I would like to chop off the molded plugs and fit NZ plugs.
    Inside the USA plugs are black , white and green.
    Can I just wire these as is to a New Zealand plug, A = Black N = White and E = green?
    I don't want to blow up my computer. And I would rather not use a a heap of adapters.
    Thanks

This thread discusses a lot of the issues around using US devices in NZ. Here's hoping you don't blow up yourself OR your computer! http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35724

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This thread discusses a lot of the issues around using US devices in NZ. Here's hoping you don't blow up yourself OR your computer! http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35724
    Thanks for that. Some very informative info there, but no answer to my question.
    Blowing myself up is not an option :P

Quote Originally Posted by truckinnme View Post
    I have some 110V - 240V 50hz - 60 hz appliances. I would like to chop off the molded plugs and fit NZ plugs.
    Inside the USA plugs are black , white and green.
    Can I just wire these as is to a New Zealand plug, A = Black N = White and E = green?
    I don't want to blow up my computer. And I would rather not use a a heap of adapters.
    Thanks
    For USA plugs, it is black for Live (called Active in NZ), white for Neutral and green for Earth, so your wiring to NZ plug is correct.

What might confuse some people is that in NZ it is usual for Neutral colour to be Black or Blue.

It is of course important to ensure that the device can handle 240V 50Hz and won't draw more than 10A.

Ian

As long as the moulded plugs are just moulded plugs, not containing an integral transformer or rectifier, (like a typical laptop supply with a separate in-line power supply rather than like a typical phone charger), you can chop the plug and wire on an NZ plug. Normal domestic plugs are rated at 10Amp and are unfused, and the supply is 230Vac at 50Hz.

We brought a couple of 4 way gang extensions and wired new NZ plugs onto the flying lead when we got here to get us started with the laptop, mobiles, etc, then swapped out the plugs on our appliances when we had settled.

Whoooosssshhhhhh!!

Did you hear that?

That was the sound of all that techno info going over my head lol

Sorry MetalSoul,

I just love my job too much.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyControl View Post
    Sorry MetalSoul,

I just love my job too much.
    Nah, I'm just a bit thick

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyControl View Post
    As long as the moulded plugs are just moulded plugs, not containing an integral transformer or rectifier, (like a typical laptop supply with a separate in-line power supply rather than like a typical phone charger), you can chop the plug and wire on an NZ plug. Normal domestic plugs are rated at 10Amp and are unfused, and the supply is 230Vac at 50Hz.

We brought a couple of 4 way gang extensions and wired new NZ plugs onto the flying lead when we got here to get us started with the laptop, mobiles, etc, then swapped out the plugs on our appliances when we had settled.
    Thank you!
    These are just standard computer power cables. No inline P/S so that should be ok.
    My monitors have an inline ac/dc converter and my printer uses a figure 8 plug that goes into a small box. Both are 110v - 240Vac 50Hz - 60Hz. Will I be able to change the plugs on these?
    I too bought a gang extension and used an adapter to plug it in. Of course, I was remiss in checking if it had an inline fuse and capacitor circuit. Imagine my chagrin when it popped. *head desk*
    I have a step down transformer coming for my kitchen appliances (500watt)

Quote Originally Posted by truckinnme View Post
    Of course, I was remiss in checking if it had an inline fuse and capacitor circuit. Imagine my chagrin when it popped. *head desk*
    Classic school boy error. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: Check for inline fuses and capacitor circuits!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast