Thread: Using a U.S. Magic Jack in NZ

Default Using a U.S. Magic Jack in NZ

I've done a search on enz but still have questions. Do you use a Magic Jack in NZ?

I don't own one, but have been online reading up on MJ and found a lot of consumer complaints relating to lousy customer service and charges made to their CC without authorisation.
    What is your experience?
    Last edited by Dell; 16th November 2012 at 01:34 AM.

A friend of mine used one for work for awhile and then switched over to Skype because MJ was unreliable for her. I put money on my Skype account and use that or Viber as long as the other person has Viber on their phone it is free. The quality on Skype tends to be better, but free is free.
    Good luck.

We have a Magic Jack Plus. Bought it in the States (Radio Shack) and paid up for 5 years. I canceled the card I bought it with before the move, so I don't know if they've ever tried to charge me more. We are very happy with it, though every now and then it glitches and I have to restart the computer. It's nice having a "local" US number for the little things that come up like banking and such, and I love the ability to call my mom whenever I feel like it. In order to receive calls the computer must be on, but there is a voice mail that kicks in and sends to your email address.
    I think we paid less than $150 for the MJ and the 5 years service; it's paid for itself several times over! We bought it a month before the move and got it working and gave everyone the number. We cancelled phone and cable the day the container came, and had the internet cancelled the day we left.
    We do SKYPE with some friends in the States, but none of our family has gotten on board with video chat capability yet

We used one for a long time in the states as our primary number but the general service and cost had us shift to Skype last year. Skype is way less expensive and if you really like the feel of a phone to talk into, you can buy one to work with your skype account.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    In order to receive calls the computer must be on, but there is a voice mail that kicks in and sends to your email address.
    How do you have it set up? Magic Jack Plus can be plugged directly into your router, which does not require the computer to be turned on..

PS: I find the quality to be much better than using either skype or google to call land lines. I think I spent $65 for the device with 1 year of service ($20 to $30 for each additional year, depending on how many you pay for at a time). If you have any one to talk to in the US or Canada, it's a worthwhile expense.
    Last edited by 72andsunny; 16th November 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll just use a Kia Ora card and Skype. A $20 Kia Ora card lasts a long time at .02 cents a minute to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    How do you have it set up? Magic Jack Plus can be plugged directly into your router, which does not require the computer to be turned on..
    We have a little netbook laptop we keep it plugged into so that we can move around more. We tried using a cordless phone and it was too hard to hear the other person; never worked right.

Depending on how often you'll call you can get an unlimited US subscription on Skype for about $8 a month. We pay an additional fee on top of that for a us number which is local to our family's area code and then they can call us for free as well.