Thread: I need your help

Default I need your help

Hi Everyone

New Zealand is such a small country and finding the right job often comes down to who you know. I am trying to help skilled migrants meet mentors within their specific industry. Mentor's can help migrants understand how things are done in NZ, give advice on CV's and resumes and make introductions to their own professional networks.

If you're new to NZ and are finding it hard to get into your chosen industry then I'd love to hear your input, feedback and war stories. If you can spare 30 minutes for a phone chat (or even better a cup of coffee!) then I would be very grateful and you'd be helping the community.

Thanks
    Brad

Welcome to the forum - I think perhaps you need to give us a little more specific information about your own story and experiences.

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Welcome to the forum - I think perhaps you need to give us a little more specific information about your own story and experiences.
    Great point. I moved to NZ from SA 15 years ago. We were lucky to get in and get jobs quickly but I've had family members who have arrived since and they are struggling to get into their chosen field. They get the usual 'no kiwi experience' response. There must be a better way. I'v got a couple of ideas that may help people get over this barrier but the ideas need validation by people who are in that position now.

Quote Originally Posted by BradBooysen View Post
    the ideas need validation by people who are in that position now.
    That's me! Before I entered NZ, things seemed a bit optimistic. Now it's been a bit more than 4 months and still no luck. I'd like to give your plan a shot.

There are a lot of people in that situation. I do a similar sort of support role and have helped many immigrants overcome it, happy to have a chat if you want.