Thread: Visa denied, asked to email evidence. Is this normal?

Default Visa denied, asked to email evidence. Is this normal?

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

We just learned today that our application for a temporary work permit for my partner has been denied. The officer called my partner's phone so we don't have any letter stating reasons yet, but he said it was because we couldn't provide evidence of shared utilities, lease agreements, car ownership, etc. (AKA "living together")

He then said that if I could write an email saying that I'm happy to support him, and if we can supply evidence of jointly having more than $6000 in available funds, he'll grant a 6 month some-other-kind visa that would get him here (he's currently in the US) but not allow him to work. I assume to allow us to build up the necessary evidence to apply again.

I just want to know... is this normal? I didn't even think it was legal for my partner to come here as a visitor when he's clearly demonstrated that he'd prefer to stay longer. I didn't get the call, so it's all filtered through my partner -- I'm not sure exactly what was said.

I wrote a reasonably snippy email and enclosed a few screenshots of my online bank details, plus a credit card statement showing that I purchased his plane ticket, plus a bonus item of a car insurance policy which has both our names on it (and which I'd forgotten even existed).

Has anyone else had this happen? Contacted by phone, and requested evidence by email?

It was the consulate in Los Angeles, if that helps at all.

Bonus question: If he doesn't get this 6 month visa because of the snippiness of my email, does that essentially mean that he can't come here as a visitor? There's evidence to suggest that he is not a genuine "tourist" because he applied for a work visa. He's from the US, so he's eligible for visa waiver, but would he run into trouble at the airport?

We had problems getting me to visit him in the US earlier this year, so we're really not having much luck with bureaucracy.

I can answer my own question. I just found this:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39274

So it may be this is a common fallback for couples that aren't living together? The docs by email thing is still a little weird, but definitely appreciated. I just wonder if I'm meant to fill in another form, or if the email and screenshots will be enough.