Thread: Two months in...

Default Two months in...

...and still unpacking. OK, not so much unpacking, and re-organizing. It's been a process of getting to a certain point, hitting a wall, then leaving it for a few weeks. Then another breakthrough, more progress, another wall. This weekend, two big walls have come down. We're still bursting at the seams, but it's definitely less warehouse-like. Having my first overseas visitors arriving on 07 December is very motivating. Lesson #1: PURGE more; bring less.

Last weekend I met my husband in Hawaii for a weekend. Honolulu is 8.5 hours from Auckland and 5.5 hours from Vancouver so it's the closest to halfway, plus it's only a 1 hour (OK 23 hours) time difference for me and 2 for him. It was awesome to reconnect and hang out; the beach wasn't horrible either. We'll see each other in 6 weeks when he comes for Christmas. At this point the separation is a bit harder on him, since I have all sorts of new and interesting things to distract me: he goes to work, comes home, does his extracurricular stuff, goes home. I suspect in hindsight he'd've said "stuff it" to finishing the year and waiting until bonuses are paid out in late February. Which was always my position.

I'm finding work life in NZ exactly has it was pre-presented online: people are a bit more rigid about clocking hours than in Canada, but equally keen to turn off the work email and mobiles evenings and weekends. People work to a high standard and seem to expect the same--without being doodieheads about it.

Am sloooowly building a social circle--this is the hardest part about migrating, but I knew that coming in. I'm 48, married, much more of a homebody. I've limited energy to use extracurricular as a medium for meeting people and generally I can't stay awake late enough to use pubs for this purpose. It's a work in process, but it's coming along.

In early December I'll have my first NZ adventure with my two mates coming from Canada and the States. We're booked on the Tongariro bushwalk. However it seems that both Tongariro and Ruapehu are rumbling a bit and may erupt at any time. Ideally this will be around 11am on Sunday 07 December--the day after our walk.

It's hard to believe that this process began at the end of January for me, when I applied for my role here at the uni. A couple of months later I had an offer, submitted my EOI, got my ITA and then my visa. As of 15 December my work-related restrictions will come off my visa so theoretically I can take whatever job wherever...although if I leave before 2 years are up I'm on the hook for about $20k in relocation expenses.

Thanks for the update, and all the best with continuing to make your way in your new life - it'll be all the better when he joins you.

It sounds like you're doing really well. I had no idea about how much there would be to do. We haven't made much progress beyond basic furniture and waiting for our things to arrive. We are slowly getting there but it really is painfully slow for someone as impatient as me! Meeting people is always hard. I've joined some groups and am doing some things but it takes time to build up a friendship network. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there. Having your husband joining you will be fantastic and definitely something to look forward to and work towards. I may not know many people, I may not know where to go shopping or where the nice lunch place is and we may not have enough furniture or be particularly well sorted yet, but I'm still very pleased to be here!

I'm still giggling that you used "doodieheads" in a sentence...that places my maturity level
    Great to hear you are doing well and settling in. Bummer that you and hubby are apart for a little longer, but I am jealous you are already going to have visitors!
    Take care,

It totally will!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Thanks for the update, and all the best with continuing to make your way in your new life - it'll be all the better when he joins you.

Thanks Ana!

Was gonna use a more common NZ term (rhymes with "quickhead") but decided to behave myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    I'm still giggling that you used "doodieheads" in a sentence...that places my maturity level
    Great to hear you are doing well and settling in. Bummer that you and hubby are apart for a little longer, but I am jealous you are already going to have visitors!
    Take care,

Glad you are settling in nicely. We've been here almost 3 months now and I agree meeting people is a bit challenging but slowly coming together. The challenge for us is meeting people who have kids. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the update. I am getting to the final stage of coming to Auckland myself. All the best as you continue to settle down and settle in. Regards.

Thanks folks!

In early December I'll have my first NZ adventure with my two mates coming from Canada and the States. We're booked on the Tongariro bushwalk. However it seems that both Tongariro and Ruapehu are rumbling a bit and may erupt at any time. Ideally this will be around 11am on Sunday 07 December--the day after our walk.
    Thought about you on Wednesday...