Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi from Missouri and need advice about making the NZ lifestyle move.

Red face Hi from Missouri and need advice about making the NZ lifestyle move.

Hello,
    My husband and I and our 3 little boys live in Missouri and have thought about needing a lifestyle change and moving to NZ. Currently my husband is self employed as a antique aircraft restoration business, as for me I'm the stay at home mom. We have a comfortable life here, but just don't like the way the US economy is going. My husband traveled a little abroad after college and did enjoy it. As for me I have never been across the pond. My boys are in school age 4 pre K, 6 1st grade, 8 3rd grade. I feel sad about them leaving friends but I'm sure it would end up working out with new friends.

I would like for my husband and I to continue to keep the same working arrangements, that way we can still participate with there school activities and sick kid days. If he could either start up is aircraft restoration business that would be great. I've also seen on the real estate listings about b&b's and vineyards. I was thinking that would be something I could manage within the household, yet still take care of my family. I have seen some places in the Blenheim area that I really like. I can research all I can online, but there is always something to be said about hearing the stories from real people.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is
    "Where do I start first" "How long should we start preparing, looking for homes, work etc"

I am completely open for any and all types of advice to help us in our decision on moving to NZ.

Hello and welcome.

You're going to need to look at what kind of visa to aim for. Since you prefer to be self-employed, you'd probably better start here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/invest/ltbv/, with the Long Term Business Visa, then look at the further links off that page.

Hello & welcome!

P

If anyone out there has any advice about moving to NZ I'd appreciate it. Also any good information about NZ, climate in Blenheim area, shopping, school for the kids. All the small stuff really helps.

There are tons of people on here that can help, but you might want to come up with some really specific questions about what you are looking for? Trademe.co.nz will give you an idea of housing costs for both rental and purchasing. Trademe.co.nz will also give you an idea of cost of purchasing cars. Trust me we just bought two cars and they aren't cheap. Eek! NZ is a wonderful place, but it is MUCH more expensive than Missouri. We came from San Francisco and we find NZ expensive. Granted we live in Auckland. It is a beautiful place and a great place to raise kids. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Cheers.

Kiwihusker, Thanks for replying. So you still feel that the cost of living is a little on the high side?? Did you all ship your belongings to NZ or start from scratch? I'm assuming that all the electrical appliances we would have to purchase from new, since they don't work the same as we have in the US, correct? Or do they have some sort of converters for them? How would you rate the weather and the heating and cooling expenses?
    How hard is it to find a job. I perfer to be able to stay at home, so a work at home job would be ideal. Any ideas. Thanks

For anyone that has moved from the US what did you do. Did you try to buy a converter to change to the current or would you suggest to just buy new. I hate the thought of having to buy a new laptop or power adapter for my kindle and etc.

I think if you are seriously thinking of moving you have to plan on some big expenses, even if you don't buy anything big or anything new, all the little things you'll need will add up. It is very expensive here compared to the US, especially when comparing it to any of the more rural states. Food will you cost you more, cars will cost you more, furniture will cost you more. I don't actually think electronics are much higher.

It can be hard to find a job. I think it depends a lot on your skills and background. And, I wouldn't expect to find a lot of work from home employment opportunities. Internet is not the same here and remote work seems to be a bit more unusual (at least in my field) than it is in the states. I currently work remotely for a US company which might be an option for you, but all my NZ opportunities require regular face-to-face office hours.

I'm sorry if my post seems a bit discouraging. I love NZ and think moving here was the best thing we could have done for our family, but there are definitely challenges we didn't have in the US and compromises that we've had to make. They've been easier to adjust to as we knew what they would be before we got here. Hopefully, you'll find enough information through this forum and other resources to have a good idea what it might be like for you if you make the move.

I use a Macbook Pro which works in NZ using just a plug adapter but I'm not sure if all laptops are this way. Ditto with many hairdryers - if there's a switch on the handle to change from U.S. 115 to NZ 240 but you'll need a plug adapter. I just bought a bag of 15 US to NZ plus adapters for $1 each! I'm not taking any American electrical appliances to NZ but will buy new when I get there rather than fool around with transformers, etc. which may not work if the appliance has a motor.

The basic cheap appliances (toaster, tea kettle, etc) can be bought at Warehouse cheaply for not much more than what you would pay at Target - but better quality appliances will cost more than the U.S.
    U.S. Breadmaker = $80. NZ Breadmaker = $150 (on sale). I'll buy the basic appliances cheaply then upgrade when they need replacing. There's no such thing in NZ as a cheap vacuum - and I have yet to see an upright. Expect to pay at least $300 for a cheapie canister type vacuum. NZ washers and dryers are smaller and cost more....plus most Kiwis hang their clothes on the line out of preference, not need. But I've recently priced washer/dryers on sale at a comparable price to what you'd pay in the U.S. Refrigerators have also come down in price and larger ones U.S. types are easier to find. I plan on buying my major appliances from the same shop so that I have some bargaining power.

My brother in law uses his Kindle in NZ - guessing that he just needed a plug adapter.

A good place to price things is: www.priceme.co.nz

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast