Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel stupid. Immigration and Visa question.

Unhappy I feel stupid. Immigration and Visa question.

Help.

I hate to ask this, I feel stupid. Can anyone explain to me about immigration and visa's. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    You can't move to NZ without having a visa? So having a visa is saying NZ is giving you permission to live and work in NZ? Can a person come over to NZ and buy a house without a visa? Can someone be denied a visa, is so for what type of reasons? I am assuming that the entire family has to get a visa, no matter the age (young children ages 4,6,8). Please help, the immigration site just scares me.

A visa is permission to enter and be in the country. There are visitors' visas which allow you to spend a certain amount of time in NZ - how much time all in one go varies with what country of origin you have - and you can spend roughly half your time in NZ on visitors' visas, but YOU MAY NOT WORK on one of these. (You could visit, and you could take steps towards getting a job, or setting up a business, but you are not allowed to start working until you have an appropriate visa.) You can buy a house in NZ as a foreigner without a work or residence visa, but this does not give you the right to live there full time.

In general, visas allowing someone to live and work in the country are given as a kind of swap for those people having something to offer - a skill that is currently in short supply in NZ, or the knowhow to set up and run a business that will be able to offer employment to NZ nationals, or money to invest. All the rules on the INZ website are the different ways of proving that you can measure up under one of those categories. Besides that, whichever category you're going for, you have to prove that you're in good enough health that you won't be burden on the NZ Health Service because of an existing condition, and that you don't have a serious criminal record.

Most certainly, a person can be denied a visa. Anyone applies, and shows what grounds they have for thinking they can be of use to New Zealand, but if they don't meet the regulations, they won't get in. So, sorry, however much the INZ website makes your eyes roll, you need to get your head round the information that is there, so as to know how to present your situation and your qualifications to have the best chance of being admitted. (MANY people start out thinking *Argh!* when they first confront the rules. It's not just you. If you start with ONE section and take it steadily, thinking it through, you'll get there - you can always put up a link on a thread here and ask, 'What does this mean?')

Talking about a couple, or a family group, entering, if one of the adults can qualify for a visa of whatever kind, then their spouse and children can get corresponding visas, only having to prove health and good character.

JandM, Thank you for clearing some of that up. If you don't mind may I ask you another question or your opinion on which you think we would need. We've talked about buying some property that has a small vineyard on it. Our plan would be to grow the crops and run the farm as a small vineyard business. It also has a small chattel 1 room b&b. We thought maybe getting another building and having 2 more b&b on it. So until the b&b started up run the vineyard. It was said that we could use it as a small business, and it could end up becoming a work type visa. Do you think that follows the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by shortair View Post
    JandM, Thank you for clearing some of that up. If you don't mind may I ask you another question or your opinion on which you think we would need. We've talked about buying some property that has a small vineyard on it. Our plan would be to grow the crops and run the farm as a small vineyard business. It also has a small chattel 1 room b&b. We thought maybe getting another building and having 2 more b&b on it. So until the b&b started up run the vineyard. It was said that we could use it as a small business, and it could end up becoming a work type visa. Do you think that follows the rules?
    Only people on residency visa's or "open work" visa's are allowed to have businesses. There is a business owners visa, but it is notoriously hard to get http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/invest/ltbv/

I have a small wine label and live and work in Marlborough. Do you have any experience in running a vineyard? I am not saying you can't do it, but I have seen so many people enter this industry with romantic ideas of picking some grapes, having long lunches and drinking their own wine. The reality is a million miles away from that, it is very hard work, often for a poor return. There is no premium for organic grapes and wine does not sell itself.

Some information that might be helpful for us to point you in the right direction.

How old are you and your partner, what qualifications do you have, what type of work experience do you guys have?

Most people come here and work for an employer and much of the immigration process is geared towards this. But it is possible to be awarded residency (like a green card) before you arrive, so you could immediately start with your dream, but it depends on your personal circumstances.

As Beachcombers says, in order to work for yourselves, you'd need (one of) the business visas linked to by nativecolo, or Residence, or an open work visa (which one of you might get if the OTHER partner had qualified for a work visa for a specific job).

Some information that might be helpful for us to point you in the right direction.

How old are you and your partner, what qualifications do you have, what type of work experience do you guys have?
    Agreed.

Beachcombers, I appreciate your advice. If you want I can send you my email and we can discuss matters in detail that way if you want. As for your questions my husband and I live on a farm of approx 80 acres. We hay approx 3/4 of it at least twice in the summer and fertilize also. So we do have some of the farming experience. We also garden. Wine and grapes we have no experience. I am 42, husband 46. Stay at home mom, out of the office, medical office biller and retail field for 9yrs now. I would like to continue to stay at home with my kids, that is why I would like a stay at home job. Husband self employed antique aircraft restoration for 20+yrs.

JandM, Got a question for you. I received a email from a person that is a licensed immigration adviser and stated that she could help us with our paperwork needs. Although it would cost us for them to work and process the paperwork. I guess I'd like to know if it is suggest to have someone like her do our paperwork, or is it something that we can do ourselves once we know which ones to fill out.

You can do it yourself like I did it myself and if you feel anything is confusing you, people on the forum can help you on this. However still the choice is yours.

Using an immigration adviser costs a lot of money.

What they actually do is to fill in the form(s) for you, but they can only do this once you yourselves have provided the necessary information. YOU still have to find all those details, write them up, and pass them over to the adviser. When you get to the next stage, when INZ requires proof of everything you are saying about yourself, YOU still have to amass that proof - certificates for your qualifications, birth certificates and marriage certificates for yourselves and your family (even the ones not going), work experience letters, police certificates, medicals, etc., etc.. - pass them on to the adviser, who then passes them on. They don't take any of the load of doing this off you, and it's still your responsibility.

Advisers don't have any special 'pull' with INZ - clients don't go ahead of independent applications.

An adviser will ask you for, and list, all your necessary personal information. So will forms, guides and lists issued by INZ, for free.

An adviser will tell you they will have answers to your questions. So will the guides issued by INZ, and their website and operational manual, for free. People here on the threads will willingly point out where to look, for free.

It is perfectly possible to go through the immigration process for yourself. Even if you use an adviser, you are still going to have to collect and submit all your personal information and evidence, only you submit it to them, and they submit it to INZ. It's up to you if you want to spend $$$$$ to put an extra step in the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast