Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timaru - Not a tourist hot spot

Default Timaru - Not a tourist hot spot

Hi!
    As a midwife based in Ireland I am looking forward to a phone interview for a job at the Timaru Hospital maternity unit in the coming days.
    What I can find about the hospital online is plentiful and very informative.

It is different though with finding any information about life and work in Timaru and even here on the forum I couldn't find much so far. I guess it's just not a tourist hot spot But from my experience of moving countries so far, that doesn't say much about the quality of life.

I would very much appreciate anyone who likes to share their story/experience of life in Timaru.
    I know we all move to and live in all sorts of places for very different and more so very personal reasons so I am not asking for anything in particular. Just any info you've got will help.
    Wikipedia, the Canterbury website and the Timaru Herald online have been my source of information so far.

Thank you for your help!

Hanna

Hi Hanna...

Haven't been to Timaru for years but have relatives from there who say it's a lovely family place to live. It's also quite cheap for property and rental - far out of the rental hikes that the Chch eathquakes have created. Has all the shops you'll need, sea coast, loads of coffee shops and playgrounds and outdoorsy things to do. Some may say Timaru is kinda stuck halfway between 2 bigger cities, and therefore not so popular with expats. So good for family, maybe not for a wild swinging single party life!

I've just moved to a nearby town, Ashburton. Smaller than Timaru but I absolutely love it.

All the best for the interview.

Mel

Was playing golf with a guy the other day who'd just spent 4 weeks working down there for his old company ( now retired ) and he mentioned he'd thought of moving there 30 years ago but so glad given his experience of the last 4 weeks that he didn't . Nice small town centre but pretty dull otherwise

I think it all comes down to personal preferences/ experiences.
    Timaru is quite small, so of course not as 'exciting' as Wellington or Auckland, but lots of surrounding possibilities for skiing, watersports, hiking, probably less for partying as mentioned before :-)
    Mu OH worked in Timaru for a year, commuting between Timaru and Dunedin, and he enjoyed the town very much. They have done quite a lot of 'beautifying' in recent years, and my daughter had a placement in Timaru hospital twice and loved it.

Hi Hanna
    We moved to the area this year and are loving it
    Agree with you about finding info, not much on Internet except pictures of churches!
    South Canterbury is a unknown gem
    Smallish population but quite active
    We are living in Temuka just 15mins north of Timaru and I am the town dentist
    Property rental is cheap. We have a 4 bedroom house with a separate cottage on an acre of gardens with paddocks and all for $575 weekly and that is high end
    More it's 5 min to work and no traffic
    Timaru is larger 30000 approx
    There is a good town centre with all the shops you need
    Caroline Bay has a beautiful beach and lots going on. A large Christmas Carnival and we are off the festival of roses today
    They have an active theatre and good cinema and leisure facilities
    Check out Timaru District Council site for walks and activities
    Look up CBay for the new aquatic centre
    Within easy reach is;
    Lake Tekapo 1hour
    Ski fields nearest 1 hour & 7 within 2 hours drive
    Christchurch is less than 2 hours
    To wake up every day and your view is the snow capped Southern Alps doesn't get better than that
    Got to go and get the sun cream on, it's going to be 26 today
    PM me if you need to know more and if you move we'll take you out to show the place off

Francis (another paddy)

Hi Hanna
    Another thought
    For a feel of the area listen to Port FM online some night to hear what's going on

Francis

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkgirl View Post
    Hi Hanna...

Haven't been to Timaru for years but have relatives from there who say it's a lovely family place to live. It's also quite cheap for property and rental - far out of the rental hikes that the Chch eathquakes have created. Has all the shops you'll need, sea coast, loads of coffee shops and playgrounds and outdoorsy things to do. Some may say Timaru is kinda stuck halfway between 2 bigger cities, and therefore not so popular with expats. So good for family, maybe not for a wild swinging single party life!

I've just moved to a nearby town, Ashburton. Smaller than Timaru but I absolutely love it.

All the best for the interview.

Mel
    Hi chalkgirl!
    Thanks for the advice. In some ways it sounds good, as we are not big pub or party fans and are thinking of starting a family at some sage as well We both ride motorbikes for leisure (though I am commuting to work right now, takes the fun out of it ) and like to spend time outdoors.

On the other hand I am initially from the big tow Berlin in Germany and do like a little bit of variety. I am finding life in a small village like Sallins here in Ireland quite stale.

But in the end you won't know until you get there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Was playing golf with a guy the other day who'd just spent 4 weeks working down there for his old company ( now retired ) and he mentioned he'd thought of moving there 30 years ago but so glad given his experience of the last 4 weeks that he didn't . Nice small town centre but pretty dull otherwise
    Hi benandclare!
    Surprising that your retired friend finds it dull, as I just read an article in the Timaru Herald stating Timaru has an aging population, dropping birthing numbers and the happiest population over the age of 65

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I think it all comes down to personal preferences/ experiences.
    Timaru is quite small, so of course not as 'exciting' as Wellington or Auckland, but lots of surrounding possibilities for skiing, watersports, hiking, probably less for partying as mentioned before :-)
    Mu OH worked in Timaru for a year, commuting between Timaru and Dunedin, and he enjoyed the town very much. They have done quite a lot of 'beautifying' in recent years, and my daughter had a placement in Timaru hospital twice and loved it.
    Hi newarrival!
    That sounds good, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Hi Hanna
    We moved to the area this year and are loving it
    Agree with you about finding info, not much on Internet except pictures of churches!
    South Canterbury is a unknown gem
    Smallish population but quite active
    We are living in Temuka just 15mins north of Timaru and I am the town dentist
    Property rental is cheap. We have a 4 bedroom house with a separate cottage on an acre of gardens with paddocks and all for $575 weekly and that is high end
    More it's 5 min to work and no traffic
    Timaru is larger 30000 approx
    There is a good town centre with all the shops you need
    Caroline Bay has a beautiful beach and lots going on. A large Christmas Carnival and we are off the festival of roses today
    They have an active theatre and good cinema and leisure facilities
    Check out Timaru District Council site for walks and activities
    Look up CBay for the new aquatic centre
    Within easy reach is;
    Lake Tekapo 1hour
    Ski fields nearest 1 hour & 7 within 2 hours drive
    Christchurch is less than 2 hours
    To wake up every day and your view is the snow capped Southern Alps doesn't get better than that
    Got to go and get the sun cream on, it's going to be 26 today
    PM me if you need to know more and if you move we'll take you out to show the place off

Francis (another paddy)
    Hi Francis and thank you so much for the up-beat description, makes me want to go there!
    If I happen to get a job offer and decide to go for it, we will certainly keep you updated about our where abouts!

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    Hi Hanna
    Another thought
    For a feel of the area listen to Port FM online some night to hear what's going on

Francis
    Will do!

Hi

Arriving in Timaru from UK in mid Feb to take up a teaching post. Any advice or tips greatly rec'd. (Coming on my own initially, wife and kids to follow in a couple of months)

Mark

This is all I know about Timaru... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2q1y2OD4jI

Have seen that before alright...

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    This is all I know about Timaru... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2q1y2OD4jI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast