Thread: Baby supplies in NZ

Default Baby supplies in NZ

Hi all. We're moving to NZ for an 18-month position in Christchurch. A month into our move, I will deliver our third child.

Because we're coming back to the States, we are only taking essentials (clothes, books, toiletries, a few toys) so there's no huge container into which I can stuff our baby items. What can you tell me about baby supplies or their pricing in New Zealand?

We'll need to buy a crib, a high chair, car seat, rocking chair, and baby monitor. And diapers, of course. Lots of diapers.

Should I brace myself for sky-high prices? Anywhere I should be looking for such things? Obviously we're not looking for heirlooms; we'll use them for 18 months, then want to donate or sell them.

I'm open to all ideas! Thanks, all!

TradeMe for the big stuff would be my first thought. Buying new is considerably more than we'd pay in the UK. Not sure of the comparison with the US though. Grab One do good daily online deals (new items) so sign up for their emails.

Local Plunket and school fairs for decent-ish 2nd hand clothes. Charlie and Flo (online only) do good quality 2nd hand clothing, but slightly higher prices.

Failing that, bargain basement items can be found at Op Shops.

Hope that helps.

Oh and you can also rent car seats from Plunket. Think it is around $60 for 6mths. All seats are regularly safety checked.

My advice is not to compare prices between NZ and the USA if buying your stuff in the USA isn't an option as the prices here will make you weep.

I bought most of my baby clothes from M&S in the UK as it was considerably cheaper than buying them here.

I imported a car seat from Baby Care in the Netherlands as it was half the price of buying the same model here.

The rest of the baby stuff I bought has been a mixture of second-hand stuff off trademe, and new stuff mainly from Baby Stuff and Baby Universe. I've also used Belly Beyond, Breastmates, and The Sleep Store. All the online stores regularly have sales and special offers on, and a couple offer lowest price guarantees so it is worth comparing them all before buying.

Diapers are called nappies here. I bought mine from Snazzipants, but if you are going to use disposables you can just buy those at the supermarket or the Warehouse. Christchurch has a nappy composting scheme that looks quite cool: http://www.envirocomp.co.nz/FAQ.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Christchurch has a nappy composting scheme that looks quite cool: http://www.envirocomp.co.nz/FAQ.html
    That is awesome! I used cloth in the past but will be using disposables for this baby. This certainly removes a tiny bit of my guilt; thanks!

I know I shouldn't compare prices to the US, but I still am interested for budgeting purposes. For all the household items we will need, the Warehouse looks like a great option. Trademe is a decent option for baby stuff, too. Since we'll only be in NZ for 18 months, I'll also be eager to donate most of those things when we leave.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBacon View Post
    We'll need to buy a crib
    It is very hard to find a non-death trap (read drop side) crib in NZ. Probably not a big deal, but the US banned drop sides at almost the exact time we needed to buy one here; we didn't feel safe putting the baby in one.

Thanks, 72andsunny. Because of our now-massive luggage allowance, we'll bring our playard, which will serve as a crib. In my experience, the babe will wind up sleeping with me for the first several months anyway!

Our current position is to pack everything that will fit and leave many things behind in NZ. I'm assuming there are places I can donate a bunch of baby clothes, a playard, a swing, and baby toys.

We also decided to send my husband on ahead in January. The girls and I will follow after the baby is born. We'll bring a portable high chair, everyone's car seats, and the baby monitor. So, now all I need for the babe is a rocking chair! I will sorely miss my gliding rocker, but anything will work!

Everyone is very excited now. My husband departs in 14 days.