Thread: M & S are doing free shipping to NZ, can anyone help me re Import tax/GST?

Default M & S are doing free shipping to NZ, can anyone help me re Import tax/GST?

Hey All,

I hope someone can help me with this - M & S are doing free delivery to NZ and Oz for a limited time (Hurrah, whoop whoop and yippee!!) What I'd like to know is, if I place an order valued at about 200, which contains children's clothes, ladies clothes and some toys, will I have to pay import tax? I'm a bit confused about the system.

Thanks in advance, Ruth

I would split that order up. I don't know the exact figures but I ordered 130 pounds worth of clothes from the UK a while ago and got charged $100 tax - they even charged me tax on the delivery fee.

Quote Originally Posted by RHT View Post
    Hey All,

I hope someone can help me with this - M & S are doing free delivery to NZ and Oz for a limited time (Hurrah, whoop whoop and yippee!!) What I'd like to know is, if I place an order valued at about 200, which contains children's clothes, ladies clothes and some toys, will I have to pay import tax? I'm a bit confused about the system.

Thanks in advance, Ruth
    I worked out the other day it needed to be less than 110 but it varies on what you buy as some items are lower in GST.

Split it into 2 orders. I did this recently and just waited for the 1st order to be shipped first , then did the second.

Try this calculator

http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/

http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view...ransaction-fee

Thanks so much, that's great advice/help.

I think I'll stick to doing one order of 100 to make the most of the free shipping offer. If I'm reading it right, the children's clothes are excempt (or certainly not listed on the breakdown on the whatsmyduty calculator) but I would pay on my ladies clothing if it exceeded a certain amount. To save the hassle I'll keep the order to 100 and just appreciate some new undies and pyjamas winging their way over!

Just break up the order into several smaller orders. I have bought about 500 worth of stuff in 50 orders since this offer started.

Quote Originally Posted by RHT View Post
    Thanks so much, that's great advice/help.

I think I'll stick to doing one order of 100 to make the most of the free shipping offer. If I'm reading it right, the children's clothes are excempt (or certainly not listed on the breakdown on the whatsmyduty calculator) but I would pay on my ladies clothing if it exceeded a certain amount. To save the hassle I'll keep the order to 100 and just appreciate some new undies and pyjamas winging their way over!
    I assumed the highest GST on a mixed order when customs do the calculation, just to be on the safe side!

On my parcels they didn't say on the label what they were or the value, so I'm not sure how customs determine which parcels to stop.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I stupidly placed an order for 178 when the m&s offer started. Thankfully, the package got through fine without extra duty being charged.

I also just ordered a bunch of stuff from Karrimor, but this was only 59 so no issues there. Damn big box though! And it included a pair of walking boots! Thankfully new though so no biosecurity issues either

Is this offer still on from M&S? How did you find out about it?

Quote Originally Posted by annasgoinghome View Post
    Is this offer still on from M&S? How did you find out about it?
    Offer has now finished. Back at 15 per delivery.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Inter...ry/b/183243031