Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this really true or complete rubbish

Default Is this really true or complete rubbish

Watching the news a few nights ago, and of course missed the first bit. they were discussing how online buying is hurting the local trading.

At the end, one woman wrote in with her comment that she "bought everything from food to underwear to toiletries online because it was 1/3 of the price of the shops and had free shipping"

Of course they didn't tell you where she shops online.

I am skeptical of her comment.... but if you can prove me wrong I wouldn't mind that!

Well if anyone knows how I could reduce my expenditure by 33%, let me know as well!

Of course I look on trademe for "stuff". We we shop in the real world, I have a deal with the local butcher, where I buy all our meat through him and he keeps it at a certain price/kg for us, produce from the green grocer and bulk stuff from the supermarket.

Online buying seems to be hurting shops in the UK badly. A lot of high streets here have boarded up shops now. NZ shops must be hurting as well with people buying books, dvds, clothes online overseas.

I think the report didn't say where she shops online because what she's saying about food isn't true. This forum would be full of posts about cut price sausages if it was.

Either profit margins in other countries are way thinner than here or someone somewhere is making a huge profit on imported goods....we've been in the market for a good quality engineered wooden floor for the house and have been quoted in the region of $160/sqm here and can get the same shipped in from the UK and even after shippping/duty/GST it still only comes out to $90/sqm. If an individual with zero wholesale buying power can get that good a price then the people who import stuff for a living must be making a killing!

So....yes, online sales are killing stores, but I've little sympathy on a company level....$30 a paperback? Thanks Paperplus/Warehouse/Small independent bookstore but either your business model is wrong if you have to charge that to compete or your profit margin is huge, unless the government force you to buy books at inflated prices. I still buy the little things like books overseas and haven't pulled the trigger on anything bigger, but the thought of saving $10000 on my wooden floor or $5000 on a new wee tractor imported from John Deere in the US seriously tempts me.....

Of course there's a risk with the bigger things, damage, warranties etc but it *is* a heck of a saving.

It is really true for me, though I am in Singapore. Buying toiletries and supplements via online is much much cheaper compared to shops here; especially those catering for kids. The websites that I go to are from US and they do offer free shipping from time to time or economy air shipping. Even after adding postage it is still cheaper than buying locally. If the prices in NZ are as high as they are (and I guess they are), I will continue with this online shopping when I am over there.

I guess it all depends on what you are buying. I know I had access to cheap clothes, food, books when I lived in the US. I now go to the library (or buy ebooks online for my kindle), shop at op shops or Trademe for clothes for me and the kids (and wait until a sale is on for things like coats), and buy whatever is on sale at the market for food. I spend no time recreationally shopping in NZ, and I'm glad. In America, I liked to go shopping on a Saturday just for fun, but since there is little to buy and it's expensive in NZ, I'd much rather go for a bike ride or walk in the bush. Way way better. If I could save 1/3 on undies but had to spend 3 hours looking online, I think I'd rather not. My time is better spent off the computer! Um, except when I'm here hanging out of course.

Good point by Tigerlily, not to spend much time onlint. So, can anyone share the websites providing cheap stuff....

We buy almost all our books, DVD's, CD's, games, toys for kids etc on-line. The price of buying on-line from Europe or the US is significantly cheaper than buying in NZ (including NZ on-line retailers), even when you take into consideration the shipping costs. For clothing and shoes we either buy here when things are on sale, or on-line from overseas.

As an example, a couple of years ago I bought the new Bill Bryson book from Amazon UK for about GBP7 (plus free shipping), after finding the 'great price' deal on the same book in both Borders (now gone) and Whitcoulls was $75, and only slightly cheaper on Fishpond/Mighty Ape for $69.

I understand that NZ is a small country and doesn't have the large bulk purchasing power than one would get in larger economies and higher shipping costs (I have previously working in the buying industry, so I am well aware of the associated freight costs and bulk purchase rates), however, the exporbitant prices charged by many retailers here bear no reflection upon such increased costs. Quite simply, the mark up on some prices here is huge. Just look at the ridiculous discounts offered by some retailers during sales, when they are still making a small profit margin and not selling off at cost. I bought a new condenser tumble-dryer at the weekend and got over $900 (!) off the retail price. Always, always negotiate a discount if you are buying a large electrical item in NZ.

+1 to all that. The whole "It costs so much to get it here" argument is absolute hogwash and retailers even do it to explain why they charge higher prices in some places. Fuel costs in Wanaka are normally at least 10c/l higher than elsewhere and remoteness is always trotted out as the excuse, which is semi plausable until you realise that Queenstown is even further away from point of entry and is cheaper! In general retailers charge what they can get away with, so taking custom away from them is the only way it'll ever change and the consumer to get a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    I understand that NZ is a small country and doesn't have the large bulk purchasing power than one would get in larger economies and higher shipping costs (I have previously working in the buying industry, so I am well aware of the associated freight costs and bulk purchase rates), however, the exporbitant prices charged by many retailers here bear no reflection upon such increased costs. Quite simply, the mark up on some prices here is huge.

I order clothes for all of us on line from Tescoes, M and S and Next. I order certain US shampoo online, books via my Kindle but everything else from Pak n Save, green grocers, butchers, local market, Warehouse and local stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast