Thread: worried about chances of getting a temp work visa with police record

Default worried about chances of getting a temp work visa with police record

Hi everyone,

I have searched the records on applicants applying for residency and work visa's that have a criminal record and I am still not feeling more relaxed about my recent submission for a 6 month work visa, so I am wondering if you guys can offer any advice?

The situation is this: 3 weeks ago I was offered a short term contract by WWF here in Wellington, I am in Wellington on a 6 month visitor visa from the UK. On the form (section D your character) you have declare any offense from any country. My situation was in 1989 I received a 12 month conditional discharge for public exposure (reason was nude sunbathing in the wrong area of a public beach would you believe). Anyway my solicitor at the time advised me to just plead guilty and get on with my life etc..

Of course this never goes away on a police record and even though technically I don't have to provide one with this application (as it's for 6 months work), I am still quite nervous as to what may happen, because of course you have to state any offence.

Since this incident I went to uni and got a Undergraduate and then PhD in my specialized area and my job offer is skill level one on the ANZSCO list and it's also on the LTSSL.

I am getting worried about nothing? I have US citizenship too and it didn't stop me getting this.

ANY advice would help, I put in the visa application last Wednesday and am getting more nervous by the day.

Paul

Don't worry. Here http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Goodcharacter.htm are the character requirements, and, as you'll see, they are designed to keep out anyone with a serious criminal record, NOT a minor blip.

Hey JandM,

Just wanted to let you know that I got my work visa through last Friday, no problems!

Thanks for your advice, you were totally right of course

That's great news and I'm very pleased for you.