Thread: Individual Employment Agreement vs. Collective Agreement

Default Individual Employment Agreement vs. Collective Agreement

I finally got a job offer! Being new to the workforce, I have no idea which of the two is better, individual employment agreement or collective agreement? Reading from the 2 documents, they seem to be the same except that for the latter an employee will be represented by the union and there may be some deductions from the salary (if I understood it correctly). Does anyone out there know the pros and cons for each?

Thanks heaps.

Congratulations!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

What industry do you work in?

It sounds like you're a doctor. I work in medical recruitment and it is our recommendation that you agree to let the hospital advise the Union that you have entered an individual employment agreement with the hospital.

I had this with the Auckland Council. What you've said seems about right. In my work environment, I figured things aren't likely to go "wrong" so I probably won't need a union. My friend, who is a nurse on the other hand, is with a union as things can go very wrong.

Somebody else will probably have a more sophisticated answer for you! But I do know that employers cannot favour those who are or are not in a union or treat them differently.

Thanks everyone. I'm in government and I wonder which one is suitable.

Hi fury147. The phrase "things can go very wrong", what does it mean? What scenarios are these? Sorry to ask many questions. I'm new to the work force and I just want to hear independent thoughts.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. My friend was saying she joined the nurses' union because if a patient complains or something medically goes wrong, she will have support.

You can always change your mind. So if you have decided to opt out, you can join again.

What did you end up choosing in the end?