Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duel Citizenship NZ/US???

Default Duel Citizenship NZ/US???

So this may be a stupid question but, as a US citizen after 5 years res. in NZ will I be able to become a NZ citizen and still keep my US citizenship?

I can't answer your question completely, but I do know once you become a NZ citizen you can still keep your US citizenship. My hubs is a Kiwi and and US citizen. As for when you can apply for citizenship it is either 5 or 6 years, sorry someone else will answer and clarify exactly the year I am sure. Or you can check some of the other posts for sure. Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    So this may be a stupid question but, as a US citizen after 5 years res. in NZ will I be able to become a NZ citizen and still keep my US citizenship?
    Yes, that's no problem at all. The US doesn't officially recognise dual nationality, however they do realise that they are powerless to stop it (that must piss them off! ). They don't encourage it, but cannot stop it. That's pretty much what it boils down to.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Adams Girl View Post
    The US doesn't officially recognise dual nationality, however they do realise that they are powerless to stop it (that must piss them off! .
    Who are these "them" that are pissed off by their powerlessness to stop dual nationality?

Mara, yes, it's 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Who are these "them" that are pissed off by their powerlessness to stop dual nationality?
    Well, the US Government, obviously... the US enjoys playing World Police everywhere, but they actually cannot take another country's passport from you as that belongs to that government, and not to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adams Girl View Post
    Well, the US Government, obviously... the US enjoys playing World Police everywhere, but they actually cannot take another country's passport from you as that belongs to that government, and not to them.
    Interestingly, in relation to that, a state like California does not disenfranchise US citizens from voting even when they live outside of the US permanently. New Zealand disenfranchises it's citizens from voting if they do not visit NZ for three years. So, those who can't afford to come back to NZ every three years do not get the same rights that those who can afford it do. Despite your speculation on what the US gov't does or does not enjoy, the rules that various states have pertaining to voting and choosing that gov't don't exactly support the idea that the US gov't has any interest in limiting dual citizenship. Or was this just another opportunity for you to work your disdain for the US into a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Interestingly, in relation to that, a state like California does not disenfranchise US citizens from voting even when they live outside of the US permanently. New Zealand disenfranchises it's citizens from voting if they do not visit NZ for three years. So, those who can't afford to come back to NZ every three years do not get the same rights that those who can afford it do. Despite your speculation on what the US gov't does or does not enjoy, the rules that various states have pertaining to voting and choosing that gov't don't exactly support the idea that the US gov't has any interest in limiting dual citizenship. Or was this just another opportunity for you to work your disdain for the US into a thread?
    I wonder about the 'cannot take the passport away thing, because Germany doesn't really support dual (or more) citizenship unless you can give reasons why you are disadvantaged if you don't take on the one of the country you are living in. If you apply for a new passport there is a question about 'did you take up the citizenship of another country in the meantime' and unless you are lying, if you tick 'yes' you won't be able to get a new German one. On the other hand, if you, as a German, decide it would be lovely to have an Italian passport on top, there is no problem. So it seems as if there is no stopping a 'government ' to take the passport of their citizen away?!

If you do keep your US citizenship, you are required to keep filing taxes even when living in New Zealand. This was a big issue recently as many US citizens living in Canada were getting large penalties from the IRS for failing to file returns.

"Under U.S. law, its citizens are required to file a federal income tax return as well as Reports of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs) every year no matter where they reside. Most countries, including Canada, have a residency-based taxation system rather than a citizenship-based system."
    http://business.financialpost.com/20...ing-in-canada/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast