Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size suitcase for 30kg

Default What size suitcase for 30kg

What size suitcase in Litres would be best to fit 30kg of luggage. I know it all depends on what we are packing but just assume it is a general mix of mostly clothes, some shoes and some cosmetics. The ones I was looking at are a 90L or a 112L case. I dont want to get the small one in case I dont get the 30kg in it but I dont want to spend the extra money on the bigger one if I will not reach the 30kg.

Oh, come on! This is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. You need to research, based on your own circumstances. Suggestion - borrow a couple of suitcases from friends or family, pack as you normally would, and weigh them. I recommend having a portable hand-held luggage scale as being more accurate than attempting to balance in the bathroom. (For instance http://www.google.co.uk/#q=hand+held...iw=818&bih=519) And don't forget to allow for possible differences in suitcase construction. We have two big suitcases, and the larger of them actually weighs less in itself than the smaller one.

I have done that but the only suitcases I have access to are smaller ones, not everyone has really big suitcases. I filled one up and I only get to 17.5kg so it is still hard to gauge how the next 12.5 kg will go. I cant find a size in litres on this suitcase so that also adds to the problem. I research everything myself before asking any questions but it is often hard to beat advice given by people with first hand experience in a similar situation. I am sure most peoples luggage would be fairly similar in makeup, mostly clothes, some shoes and some cosmetics. I dont want advice from anybody that just brought a case of books and work boots.

I have the same challenge of 30kg limit on check in luggage but I felt you are not limited to a single suitcase to pack the 30kg. I was planning on using 2 suitcases for a total weight if 30kg. I hope this approach is fine.

My post should have read 112l and 181L.

Assuming you are bringing only gold bullion, and using the value of gold's density as 19.3g/mL, and the following formula:

1 kg of gold x (1000 g / 1 kg) x (1 mL / 19.3 g) =51.8 x 30kg equals 1554 mL gold.

1ml is the same as 1cc so if you get a bag that is 10cm by 20cm by 7.8cm (1560cc) you should easily have enough room.

I cant find a size in litres on this suitcase so that also adds to the problem.
    http://www.ookingdom.com/metric/dim-to-capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Engineer View Post
    I have the same challenge of 30kg limit on check in luggage but I felt you are not limited to a single suitcase to pack the 30kg. I was planning on using 2 suitcases for a total weight if 30kg. I hope this approach is fine.
    This can be different with different airlines, and even different routes, so be careful to check with the one you're going to use.

If you go to your airline's websites and do a search for baggage info, there are usually size restrictions on luggage. For example, U.S. airlines restrict a piece of luggage (on domestic flights) to width, length and height totalling no more than 60". I can easily get 23K (50LB) into the largest suitcase if I'm packing standard stuff - clothes, shoes, etc.

An AirNZ economy ticket restricts you to ONE checked suitcase weighing no more than 23K. You will be charged US$70 (if you're travelling from the U.S) for the second bag - even if both suitcases are empty. You're allowed a carry-on with a 15lb restriction. Carry-on luggage is often, but no always, weighed before boarding the aircraft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast