Thread: I'm getting a SMC visa, what about my Wife?

Default I'm getting a SMC visa, what about my Wife?

Hi all

I am trying to figure out what to do next.
    We have applied for our Perm resident visa. They have given my a SMC work visa, (still going to send of the application form)
    Any way. so that visa will be in my passport.
    How can I get my wife to come with me?
    She is from Slovakia (with me in the UK) so can get a 3 month visitors visa when she arrives in NZ. (hopefully) and we are thinking if we do this then we can extend it before it expires. (hope we can)

My questions is, when we land at the airport in Auckland, and they see I have a SMC visa, but my wife has nothing, and will ask for a visitors visa for that 3 months. Will they give it to her?
    We will show we have enough cash and outbound flight, (refundable) to support ourselves.
    We will say that she is coming to help me look for accomodation and set up a rental place in NZ, then she will fly back out of NZ, and wait till I have got the job offer and we finnish our perm residence visa application.
    But of course when she is in NZ, we will be hoping to get her 3 month visitors visa extended for another 3 months or so, so she can stay with me in NZ untill I have completed my 3 months in my place of work and we can apply to get our Perm residence completed, and that way she can remain with me in NZ and not have to fly out?

Or should we apply for a longer visitors Visa for her before we fly to NZ ?
    They say that she will need to show evidence that she has sufficient incentives to return to the UK by the end of her visa.
    Just trying to find a way she can fly with me and stay with me in NZ till the perm residence visa comes through.

If we got to extend her visitors visa, what do we say for the reson she is staying. or why she wants to extend her visitors visa.
    Can anyone comment on this please.
    Thank You so much.

This isn't quite clear.

You applied under SMC, I gather. What you've been given - is it a Job Search Visa? Or do you have a job offer, and you have to work some Section 49(1) conditions?

(Your first residence visa will be Residence. You can't get Permanent Residence till a minimum of two years after you start living in NZ on a Residence visa.)

Hi Sorry.
    Yes I have got my residence visa on hold, I did the phone interview, and they have given me a SMC visa to be able to go to NZ and look for work. Once I have found work and been in the job for 3 months I can then get my residency visa.
    So I would like my wife to come with me, but as the SMC visa is just for me. she would need to go over as a visitor.
    So when we arrive at Auckland airport and they ask what is she doing in NZ. we will say to visit NZ and help me set up a rental accomodation whilst I find work. or something like that, and hopefully extend her visitors visa to be able to stay in NZ with me, till I have completed my 3 months work, then we can apply for our resident visa.
    Just trying to find out a way to be bale to have my wife with me in NZ, and not have to wait in the UK whilst I find work and work for three months, then only once we get our resident visas, then only come over to NZ to join me.
    If that make sense at all?
    should we try apply for a longer visitors visa from the UK before we get to NZ? just don't know what to say for a reason why she wants along visitors visa.
    Thanks

Once I have found work and been in the job for 3 months I can then get my residency visa.
    you seem to be luckier than many others, if this has been offered by INZ

they have given me a SMC visa to be able to go to NZ and look for work
    Okay, so this is the SMC Job Search Visa, not a Residence visa itself. Not yet - you will only get this if you can find a skilled job in NZ within nine months.

Yes, I'm afraid INZ are quite clear in their policy, that they expect the Job Search Visa holder to go to NZ alone, to have less distraction in looking for work, and then, IF they find a job, to send for their partner and any children afterwards. I'm sorry, but they are not going to be at all sympathetic to any idea of your wife being with you while you are on this visa. There was a time when families could officially go along, and it caused a lot of upheaval whenever the main applicant didn't find a job within the deadline nine months' limit - although the conditions were stated up front, people would protest that it wasn't fair that they had to leave NZ, now they had a home there and their children were in school and making friends. That was why the regulations were changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool_Kiwi View Post
    you seem to be luckier than many others, if this has been offered by INZ
    As it turns out to be job search visa, you may also like to find out about "Ongoing & Sustainable" job offer clause on Ops Manual - Link : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i30549.htm